722 Ethernet ?

Gentleman

PIT MEMBER
Original poster
Oct 16, 2003
New Orleans
Done a search regarding connecting the 722 for broadband access and everything I seem to finds refers connecting via homeplug powerline outlet, can a cable just be run form the 722 ethernet port to the router, or must the powerline be used, didn't want to experiment

Bob

didn't want to read the multitude of threads here about it either huh.

just plug it in and it should work.

You can just run a cable. It doesn't matter. A lot of people just don't have their modems near their tv's.

YOu can connect that way. you can also connect toa wireless bridge as many of us do.

I may be having a false memory but I seem to remember my 622 come with an ethernet cable.

If it did, I would assume a 722 would come the same way though I understand that some installers who bring the DVR with them seem to show up with little or no cables. Mine was shipped to me and I opened it and found a lot of cables.

A direct ethernet connection will always be the best way to connect your 722 to a network.

HomePlug is the next best thing since it does not require you to run a Cat5 ethernet jack to the location of your 722. Its limited to 14Mbps, but that usually is much more than most people's Internet connection speed, and most certainly more than the rate that Dish's servers will stream the data to you even if you have connection speed greater than 14 Mbps.

Wireless works too, but I am skeptical of streaming Video over a 802.11x connection. Sure it may work, but your saturate the medium leaving less for your laptop, or any other WiFi users.

No. You use a wireless bridge that connects to the ethernet port.

would that be a homeplug devise? would I need the devise on both ends? I think I have seen a wireless bridge on other threads also.

Ken

If you can find an old Linksys WRT-54g router, it's easy to load 3rd party firmware into and enable wireless bridge functionality. That's what I've been using to connect my XBox 360 with. Just got a 722 installed yesterday and it works great for that too.

If you can find an old Linksys WRT-54g router, it's easy to load 3rd party firmware into and enable wireless bridge functionality. That's what I've been using to connect my XBox 360 with. Just got a 722 installed yesterday and it works great for that too.

Do you know if it has to be a Linksys WRT-54g, or will any wireless router work? Also, could you point me in the direction of the 3rd party firmware? Thanks in advance!

would that be a homeplug devise? would I need the devise on both ends? I think I have seen a wireless bridge on other threads also.

Ken

No. A wireless bridge receives the wireless signal and has one or more ethernet ports to connect devices. IT is an alternative to the homeplug.

Personally I have shied away from the homeplug.They have problems with UPS devices and my neighborhood has more than its share of brief blackouts. 622s do not like shutting down due to lack of power.

No. A wireless bridge receives the wireless signal and has one or more ethernet ports to connect devices. IT is an alternative to the homeplug.

Personally I have shied away from the homeplug.They have problems with UPS devices and my neighborhood has more than its share of brief blackouts. 622s do not like shutting down due to lack of power.

TII NetTech makes a power strip that is DISH approved and has a homeplug outlet on it.