722 : Leave on or turn off?

Character Zero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Should I leave the 722 DVR on or turn it off when I am done watching TV. I ahve a Harmony remote and is now set to turn it off when I am done watching TV and turn it on when I do what to watch TV. Are there any pros and cons to this. How much power am I saving by turning it on v.s leaving it off while in use. I suppose that the buffer isn't recording (unless there is a recording scheduled) if it is off. Just wanted to see the opinions.

How is your harmony working? Mine was doing great for like the first 15 minutes until I screwd something up (changing the wait time on the ms to respond & stuff) and now its not recognizing the 722 at all.

I always turn mine off..seems to do what it needs whether is on or off and I'm addicted to the concept of having thing "off" when I go to bed.

PS The most annoying thing for me initially with the harmony was that it didn't map the "DVR" button on my remote by default. That made my "watch satellite" activity worthless because I couldn't go between shows on the guide to shows on my PVR easily. Took me awhile to realize it was just that *ONE* command I needed to add (I think I made the * sign my DVR button) and then everything was good.

Can anyone recommend other 722 customizations with the harmony? FWIW, I have a 520 which is like the 550/Xbox controller.

It makes no difference if you "turn it off" it is still on (hard drive still running and it will still record, etc.).

Cool I think the only thing was it wasn't keeping a buffer when "off" but it was still recording the scheduled stuff.

How is your harmony working? Mine was doing great for like the first 15 minutes until I screwd something up (changing the wait time on the ms to respond & stuff) and now its not recognizing the 722 at all.

I always turn mine off..seems to do what it needs whether is on or off and I'm addicted to the concept of having thing "off" when I go to bed.

PS The most annoying thing for me initially with the harmony was that it didn't map the "DVR" button on my remote by default. That made my "watch satellite" activity worthless because I couldn't go between shows on the guide to shows on my PVR easily. Took me awhile to realize it was just that *ONE* command I needed to add (I think I made the * sign my DVR button) and then everything was good.

Can anyone recommend other 722 customizations with the harmony? FWIW, I have a 520 which is like the 550/Xbox controller.

Try removing the device and then adding it again. I got messed up by customizing the buttons on the "device" and not on the activity and wondered why my buttons weren't working. On the 360 remote there are button for X,Y,A,B. So I just mapped "DVR" to B.

I leave mine on 24/7, have it do an auto tune 1 hour after nightly guide update so it's awake if my Tivo wants to change channels or record something off it.

I do the same with my 211 because my Hauppauge records Hogan's Heroes every AM before I get up.

They have gone through all 168 episodes several times, you can do that showing 21 shows a week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts