722 locked up last night, now 200 hours of programming is gone.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lwh1993

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
My 722 DVR locked up last night, so I just decided to turn off the Tv and call it a night.

The wife said she couldn't find a show today and when i looked at the recordings it showed over 300 hours of free space. This is my 2nd 722 in a year. Any thoughts on what's going on? Is it the hard drive? I've had lock up's before but never any ill effects after.

Thanks,

lwh1993

Is it in an area where it may be exposed to extreme heat?

Also, whats your wiring like. I know people have stated that if you start taking rcvr's out, there could be another issue.

I've always kept my ViP's on a APC Batt Backup and have not had any issues. Mines also stored inside a small space, so I took the cover off and put a fan on it to keep it very cool.

It's in an entertainment center that is closed. it does get warm, but never had an issue like this before.

Did you ever use the counters feature in the menu to see what your avg and high temps where?

The more heat, the shorter the lifespan is a good rule for electronics, at least IMHO.

no I've never checked before. Does it give a range of safe temps? Also, the dish installers have never said anything about overheating concerns.

Nah, some of us just have numbers we shoot for. I would not expect the installers to even care, unfortunately. That might not be the issue either, just throwing out ideas.

You might want to read thru this shotgun thread, if you haven't already.

My deceased ViP722 (just a bit over a year old) had a max temp of 116. Generally, I think most of us figure anything under 120 is good. It's on an open rack, atop a laptop cooler. Same with another ViP722 I have. Perhaps it's just the luck of the draw that some of us lose our HDDs. It's certainly NOT just heat. Maybe cheap drives? I dunno. But I'm suspicious that lately we seem to be reading of more and more failed ViPs.

Best recommendation, advice I will follow myself in the future: Put everything on a high quality EHD. And there are ways of backing up such EHDs.

Hmm tech support said I need to turn off the box every night. Doesn't it go to slep after a few hours of inactivity anyways? Would a laptop cooler help or would just circulate hot air?

Hmm tech support said I need to turn off the box every night. Doesn't it go to slep after a few hours of inactivity anyways? Would a laptop cooler help or would just circulate hot air?
While you can allow inactivity to go to standby (sleep) note:
(1) you must be sure this is on in Menu-8-8 but better to turn it off, i.e., to standby,
(2) standby uses nearly the same power as being on as it just shuts off the outputs.
Check your temperatures in Menu-6-6-counters-page down 9 times.
While there, check the Fsck date to see when the latest system check was.
And in Menu-6-3 check you phone and broadband connections to avoid charges.
You really do need an open cabinet or at least the back of it and unobstructed sides of the receiver.
-KEN

All my receivers run 23/7. I allow 1 hour each night for the nightly guide data update then I use an autotune timer to wake it up and have it ready to go bright and early in the morning.