722 recording on its own!

gary s

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 9, 2003
Southern Cal
This is the short version. I wrote a long post, probably too long for anyone to read through anyway, and accidentally deleted it.

I have a recently installed 722 with L443 software. My receiver is starting recordings on both tuners at the same time all by itself and they don't stop until I manually stop them. 18+ hours yesterday on each tuner. Then both tuners today for 5+ hours before I woke up and noticed and stopped them and then they started again about 15 minutes later and went 2+ hours before I noticed and stopped them.

I called Dish yesterday and the guy said since I am using the 722 in single mode and not using the TV2 remote that I should remove the antennae because most likely someone in the area is starting recordings that my antennae is picking up but it is not getting the signal to stop them. Uh-huh, OK! I removed the antennae since I don't need it anyway. But I had the problem again today.

Forgot to ask. Anyone else having this problem? If it happens again I will try a reboot.
I called Dish again today and the girl said she did not see that this was a known problem and that she would send it along to engineering, I think she said, and that they would see if they could duplicate(?) the problem. I told her I read the satellite forums and she said I should post that if others are having this problem they should call it in to Dish.

This was the short version of my post--seriously!

Anyone else having this problem?

Last edited:
If your starting a 722 bug thread, let me add my problem. I got my 722 Sunday week. Today I was in the menu and the picture froze. I could not get the 722 to do anything. Then the screen went black and the lights on the front of the receiver wenrt out. I could hear the hard drive spinning and then it stopped. I tried the power button but nothing would happen. I unplugged it and then plugged it back in and still no lights or picture. The tv screen would flash once or twice like it was trying to reboot. I then uplugged it and let it set for thirty seconds. Then when I plugged it back in nothing happened, but the tv screen flashed a couple of time and suddenly all the lights lit up on the front panel, blue and reds all lit. then the screen lit up with the searching for sat screen and all was well. It now works perfectly again. First problem that I have had in a week and hopefully the last.

I have no dishpass timers. Lots of weekly timers and two manual timers, which are for just the bonus rounds of Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. Those two manual timers are on ABCHD which just happens to be one of the channels that seem to want to record on their own.

Do you subscribe to locals? My 622 was firing to DishPass timers on OTA and running until I turned it off. I subscribed to locals to get the guide info so the timer had an end time.

I thought maybe you were having the same issue.

Change the remote address to ensure you are not a victim of a neighbor's remote. It's in the manual, about 6 steps long. I can't remember them off the top of my head though, sorry.

I subscribe to the Los Angeles locals through Dishnetwork. I don't have any OTA reception. I did not have any timers set for the times the 722 started recording on its own. Although I did have a BBAD timer end 3 minutes before the 722 started recording on its own the first time but not on either of the channels that did record.

I subscribe to the Los Angeles locals through Dishnetwork. I don't have any OTA reception. I did not have any timers set for the times the 722 started recording on its own. Although I did have a BBAD timer end 3 minutes before the 722 started recording on its own the first time but not on either of the channels that did record.

You could check "Daily Schedule" (Menu > 7) to see if recordings are in event log and also check and delete any timers. (Menu > 7 > Timers > Edit List)

If recordings are in event log, most likely your neighbor is using the UHF RF Remote on the same address settings default channel 1

With Remote2
Hold Sat button till it flashes
Press 2
Press #
Press Record

Change the remote address to ensure you are not a victim of a neighbor's remote. It's in the manual, about 6 steps long. I can't remember them off the top of my head though, sorry.

I took the antennae for the remote off the back of the receiver so I shouldn't be receiving any one else's signals, should I? My remote is IR I believe, with the Green remote 1 chip on it. It also seems if I was to receive someone else's signal from their remote to start a recording I should also receive the signal to stop the recording.

You could check "Daily Schedule" (Menu > 7) to see if recordings are in event log and also check and delete any timers. (Menu > 7 > Timers > Edit List)

If recordings are in event log, most likely your neighbor is using the UHF RF Remote on the same address settings default channel 1

With Remote2
Hold Sat button till it flashes
Press 2
Press #
Press Record

In my timers list there are only timers I have set up. However, in the event history there are the suspect timers and some do say "Event Completed by User 2". Would that mean that they were set up by the blue remote 2? As I have said my 722 is in single mode. My receiver is set on address 1. I guess I will go ahead and change the address. I just hate doing that because we currently have five receivers in our house and I have to check out all their addresses to get a different one. I suppose it could even be one of the 622s in our house causing the problem.