722 recver tv2 CC problems

digital echo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
Earth
Has anyone had issues with the closed caption on tv2 on 722's? The words are all scrambled and unreadable.. Any way to fix this?

My guess is that it's a problem with the Closed Caption settings on the TV. Go into the TV menu, find the CC settings and make sure you're on CC-1.

I have installed a language filtering device (TVGuardian) that operates off the CC signal. I too am having difficulty with delays and thus defeats of the filtering.
Tech from TVG help says Dish 722 is the problem, but the support person that I talked to at Dish was not aware of any problems. Here is the response that I received from TVG.

Hi Tom,

We've discovered a bug with the dual tuner DISH DVRs that causes the closed-captions to lag behind and/or have garbage characters. Since TVG depends on the closed-captions, this DISH bug causes problems for TVG. We've reported this to DISH and you might want to let them know about the closed-caption bug, too.

In the meantime, we've found a solution! First, try resetting the DVR by opening the panel on the front right and pressing the reset button. This will re-sync the CC and audio.

We've found the DISH CC bug only occurs with the dual tuner DVRs, when set to the 1-TV mode. Changing the mode to the 2-TV setting makes it less likely for the CC to start lagging and getting the garbage characters. Please follow these instructions to change the setting:

Press the Mode button on the front panel of the DISH DVR and change it to the 2-TV mode:
The button is probably under a panel on the right front of the DISH DVR. Pressing in the panel opens it.
Press the Mode button until the Mode light on the front panel highlights the 2-TV light; 1-TV Mode has 1 square, 2-TV Mode has 2 overlapping squares.
The TV2 light will light up in a blue color, too. There are three sets of lights on the front panel; Mode, TV1 and TV2.
In this setting, you will lose the picture-in-picture ability, however, it fixes the CC problem and TVG will work properly. If you're watching sports, and want PIP back to watch two games at once, you can simply change the Mode back to the 1-TV mode again. Then change it back later for TV shows and movies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)