722 to 722K with OTA mod worth it?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
For $30.00 for the module? Just got off phone with Loyalty and that's what they will do for me, the K being free. I'm sure the answer is probably yes, just wanted opinions from you who have gone this route and your feelings about the receiver. I receive all but one (NBC) HD station via sat, so it might just be overkill for me. There are other things to spend thirty buck on. Thanks.

The option for 4 recordings at once is awesome. We record a LOT in the fall and spring, so being able to record 4 locals at once (2 sat and 2 ota) is big, especially on thursday nights.

$30 well spent for me.

The other thing the OTA will give you (depending where you live) is the probably 6-8 sub-channel (4.2, 4.3, 10.2, 10.3 etc) that dish doesn't retransmit. Here in Columbus using the OTA I get the Retro Channel on Ch 4 (NBC), Live Doppler on CH 10 (ABC) and a quite a few others.

It's also a good backup on a rainy day.

Personally, I like watching reruns of It Takes a Thief, I Dream of Jeanie :up, Hogans Heroes and the Jack Benny show!

The backup is a big thing. I actually record primarily off OTA, then once I have two at the same time, I setup sat recordings, just so rain fade is not an issue.

The other thing the OTA will give you (depending where you live) is the probably 6-8 sub-channel (4.2, 4.3, 10.2, 10.3 etc) that dish doesn't retransmit.

Already get them with 722's OTA tuner.

Newbe Question

I have a VIP722k. It's hooked up to my main TV via HDMI and to my son's TV via TV2 wireless antenna. If i get the OTA mod for it, will it allow me to record one program on TV1 while watching a program on TV1 (live)?

Not being able to record one program while watching another has cause problems with the wife & my son whenever my programs conflict. Our DVR we had from Insight cable would let us do that while still having our son's TV hooked up to the cable.

Thanks for any replys,
Ghpr13:)

I have a VIP722k. It's hooked up to my main TV via HDMI and to my son's TV via TV2 wireless antenna. If i get the OTA mod for it, will it allow me to record one program on TV1 while watching a program on TV1 (live)?

Not being able to record one program while watching another has cause problems with the wife & my son whenever my programs conflict. Our DVR we had from Insight cable would let us do that while still having our son's TV hooked up to the cable.

Thanks for any replys,

Get out your owner's manual and enable Record Plus to the TV you prefer, ususally TV2.

Get out your owner's manual and enable Record Plus to the TV you prefer, ususally TV2.

KAB,
Thanks for the reply but I know that I can have the 722k record on TV2 while I watch TV1. My problem is if I have it record on TV2, then my son can only watch what i'm recording on his TV (TV2) if my wife or me are watching something "live" on TV1 while recording.
Since most of what my wife watches is on local channels, would getting the OTA mod be a work around for the above problem? Bottom line, with the OTA mod would I be able to record a program on either SAT or OTA, while watching another program live on TV1 and still have my son be able to watch a SAT or OTA program on his TV(TV2)?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:confused:

One other thing that I notice is that the 722K picture quality is better than my 722 (hooked to same TV via HDMI). The text on the menus are clearer and the picture quality on programming is sharper. To me it looks like the video driver/chipset may be better on 722K. Don't know if that is the case, but definately looks better to my old eyes.

Since most of what my wife watches is on local channels, would getting the OTA mod be a work around for the above problem? Bottom line, with the OTA mod would I be able to record a program on either SAT or OTA, while watching another program live on TV1 and still have my son be able to watch a SAT or OTA program on his TV(TV2)?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:confused:

Yes, the OTA mod can make that happen if record plus is set to TV1. While TV1 is recording a Sat channel, she could watch an OTA channel or vice versa. Keep in mind though, if more than one recording is set for the same time, TV2 will pick it up.

Yes, the OTA mod can make that happen if record plus is set to TV1. While TV1 is recording a Sat channel, she could watch an OTA channel or vice versa. Keep in mind though, if more than one recording is set for the same time, TV2 will pick it up.

KAB,
If I could bother you for one more bit of info, with the above set up, would my son be able to record a program at the same time on either SAT or OTA, while TV1 was watching a "live" show and recording another, say if he wasn't home to watch it? Also, IYO, how good is the OTA mod's PQ and tune-ability to pull OTA channels in?
Thanks again,

KAB,

Did you go direct to the Loyalty department? Were there any other restrictions or commitments?

I have a 722 also and like the idea of being able to watch OTA via TV2 on a Slingbox.

Thanks!

George

KAB,
If I could bother you for one more bit of info, with the above set up, would my son be able to record a program at the same time on either SAT or OTA, while TV1 was watching a "live" show and recording another, say if he wasn't home to watch it? Also, IYO, how good is the OTA mod's PQ and tune-ability to pull OTA channels in?
Thanks again,

Yes he would be able to. Again, you need to watch for overlaps. Since I do not yet have the 722K, I can not comment about pull in.

KAB,

Did you go direct to the Loyalty department? Were there any other restrictions or commitments?

I have a 722 also and like the idea of being able to watch OTA via TV2 on a Slingbox.

Thanks

George

Without going into a long story, I had been told some time ago that I could get the 722K. So, that's how. Yes, 24 mos.

Yes he would be able to. Again, you need to watch for overlaps. Since I do not yet have the 722K, I can not comment about pull in.

KAB,
Thanks again for your answers. I love my 722k of course this is my first time with Dish so the only thing I have to compare it to is a Motorola DVR from my old cable co. and that was the worst piece of equipment I have ever used.
Hope all goes well for you when you get yours.

One other thing that I notice is that the 722K picture quality is better than my 722 (hooked to same TV via HDMI). The text on the menus are clearer and the picture quality on programming is sharper. To me it looks like the video driver/chipset may be better on 722K. Don't know if that is the case, but definately looks better to my old eyes.

If you look at the Broadcom chip versions, I dont think the newest one in the 722k has an PQ improvements. While they look the same, the SW was written from scratch for the 722k, which is why it prob looks better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)