722 UHF remote issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tugboat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I have my 722 on a shelf just below my Toshiba HD DVD player and whenever the DVD player is on, the UHF remote for the 722 is very picky about orientation. If I point it one way, it won't work. If I point it only a few degrees left or right it will work most of the times. Other times I have to not only move it to the left or right, but also up or down. When I turn off the DVD player, the remote works perfectly.

Now I was able to live with that issue, but I've just installed an HDMI switcher that uses a small power adapter. This unit is on all the time, and since the install, the aiming of the remote is even more of a pain.

So what exactly is the issue with these components that interfere with the reception of the signal? I've tried changing the orientation of the antenna, but it doesn't help. Is my only option to use a run of cable to move the antenna away from the other components?

Thanks

You would run a cable to move the stub antenna from behind the metallic components (DVD and DVR). Normally you would use the IR remote in the same room--it is much more powerful than most IR remotes and aim is not critical. If you are using the single mode either IR or UHF remotes will work but the UHF antenna whisker generally needs to have approximately metallically unobstructed path from the remote. A good cable would be the 6' RG-59 coax (RG-6 is better but this short it doesn't matter) usually supplied (YMMV) to RF connect some receivers to a plain TV. You will need the cable and a feed-thru.
-Ken

You would run a cable to move the stub antenna from behind the metallic components (DVD and DVR). Normally you would use the IR remote in the same room--it is much more powerful than most IR remotes and aim is not critical. If you are using the single mode either IR or UHF remotes will work but the UHF antenna whisker generally needs to have approximately metallically unobstructed path from the remote. A good cable would be the 6' RG-59 coax (RG-6 is better but this short it doesn't matter) usually supplied (YMMV) to RF connect some receivers to a plain TV. You will need the cable and a feed-thru.
-Ken

I have a 4' run of RG-6 and will relocate the antenna. I tried using the IR remote, but I wander around the place listening to the music channels. With the UHF remote I can change the channels. If I use both, I'll end up walking away with the IR when I want the UHF... :)

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how the process goes.

I have my 722 on a shelf just below my Toshiba HD DVD player and whenever the DVD player is on, the UHF remote for the 722 is very picky about orientation. If I point it one way, it won't work. If I point it only a few degrees left or right it will work most of the times. Other times I have to not only move it to the left or right, but also up or down. When I turn off the DVD player, the remote works perfectly.

Now I was able to live with that issue, but I've just installed an HDMI switcher that uses a small power adapter. This unit is on all the time, and since the install, the aiming of the remote is even more of a pain.

So what exactly is the issue with these components that interfere with the reception of the signal? I've tried changing the orientation of the antenna, but it doesn't help. Is my only option to use a run of cable to move the antenna away from the other components?

Thanks

The issue is Rf and EMI interference.

You can also try changing the stacking/arrangement of your equipment.

The issue is Rf and EMI interference.

You can also try changing the stacking/arrangement of your equipment.

Good idea, but I made a custom rack and each component has its own shelf made to size. The only shelf big enough would be two up, but the deck in that slot is too big to fit where the DVR is.

Haven't tried the run of coax yet. Seems I forgot it would take a coupler of the antenna end. Now if I could just get the darn thing to stop making noise. The darn thing resonates with the spining HD and the only way to stop it is by squeezing the sides of the unit together. When you let go, it starts again. Sometimes I can prop up the front with a piece of rubber and it will stop, but never for long. It's not really loud, but at night it get annoying.

Before rearranging all of your components, did you try changing the remote address? If it is set to an "even" number, try changing it to an "Odd" number. One is band "A" and one is band "B". Don't know if it'll make a difference or not, but its worth a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)