722 with 6.0 UHF remote for TV1

JonBlack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Lowcountry, SC
I have a 722 DVR that is using 5.0 and 6.0 remotes to control TV1 and TV2. From what I've read these remotes should have been replaced with a 5.3 and 6.3 remote when they swapped my DVR out from a 522 over a year and half ago. I assume the installer was lazy, maybe didn't think about swapping the remotes out, etc. but I have what I have.

So far it hasn't been a big deal since the remotes controlled the TV's just fine, since TV1 was just feeding our main TV. Now I'm getting rid of a secondary receiver and wanted to use TV1 output to feed two different TV's. I can't seem to get TV1 to use the IR/UHF Pro with a 6.0 remote (the 6.0 remotes work fine on TV2). It will not switch from IR only mode. Is this possible with a 6.0 remote??? I found nothing in the manual or anything in the search function that deals with using TV1 UHF 6.0 remotes on a 722. I have some spare 6.0 remotes so it would be great if I can reuse these remotes.

6.0 is IR only. 6.3 is the IR/UHF remote. Also, the newer 21.0 learning remote, which will work with the 722. They cost about the same so get the 21.0. Easier to switch.

Hi JohnBlack, just to clarify the 6.0 remote is an IR/UHF remote, the 5.0 is the IR only remote. The colored key on the bottom of the remote is what determines whether it is an IR or UHF. You will need to have a green #1 tab with the UHF symbol on it in order to make that remote work for TV1 as a UHF. We use to have replacement tabs for them but they removed them, so if you do not have that tab, you will need to replace the remote. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Additional info: The 6.0 remote will not program to TV1 as a UHF. Recommend that you need upgrade it to 21.0 remote, which can be programmed to TV1 as a UHF. The only 6.3 remote that will work needs the part number 143040. The SAT mode button has a black ring around it. All other 6.3 remotes will not address to TV1 in UHF.

Last edited:
I have one 6.3 IR/UHF without the right key so I use it with no key. With the key out, I use a small object to move the plastic dipswitch to the center, on mine I go to the left all the way then two clicks to the right holding the remote with the keyboard up. If I miss it I move it one click at a time till I find the right position. Not sure if 6.0 and 6.3 use the same switching or not? It works for our 622 or 722.

They do use the same or a similar switch. The remote model was changed halfway through the year, this is why the 6.3 will only work with that specific model of the 6.3 and newer models.

I am virtually certain you can use a 6.0 UHF Pro remote to control the TV1 outputs on a 722. As you say, they do work for controlling TV2, so why not TV1 as well. I too had spares of the 6.0 but not of the 6.3 version, which is why I used the 6.0's first on my 625 and then on my 722. I just checked, and it appears the TV1 remote I'm currently using with the 722 is in fact a 6.3, so I suppose it's possible Mary is right. But I don't think she is. The 6.0 remote has a 2-position switch actuated by the colored key: IR or UHF but not both. The 6.3 remote has a 4 position switch, and I have no idea what the other 2 positions are used for.

The confusion I've had with both the 625 and then again with the 722 is getting one of the remotes off channel 1 before switching it to UHF. Did you do that? If you leave it on the same channel as TV2, then your setting will never stick.

The reason we have the 6.0 remote listed as incompatible with the VIP722 TV1 UHF is that it does not have UHF 2g technology. The 6.3 with the model number 143040, and newer remotes utilize UHF 2g, which basically allows two way communication between the receiver and remote. When programming a UHF remote to TV1 on a VIP receiver, the receiver reads the chip in the remote to determine what type of frequency is being used. When addressing a non VIP, you actually have to go into the UHF set up menu and basically tell the receiver you are addressing the remote to UHF. Also UHF 2g remotes get a much longer range of 200 ft instead of 100 ft like the older models.

Interesting technical details, Dan. Are you saying that the 6.3 remote is 2-way (news to me) or only that it uses 2g that can be 2-way in other remotes? Also, I just grabbed the 6.3 remote currently on my 722's TV1 output, and it's model number is 148786. This is a higher number than the one you quoted above. It will barely reach 20' (not 200') diagonally through the floor, so I suspect it's using the earlier technology.

Maybe Dan can confirm or deny something. I've heard that putting a remote in B mode boosts the range of the remote. Any information about that?

It doesn't boost the remote's power of signal, but it does operate on a different band known to have less interference (which in turn boosts the remotes signal I guess). To clear things up also, a 6.0 will not work 722's TV1 (only does TV2, 6.3 or later is needed to work TV1 as UHF with the proper tab). 6.3 is not a 2-way communicating remote, only the 20.0 and 21.0 have the 2-way feature. The 32.0 is the only 2G remote we have, before 2G we had UHF and UHF Pro.

Last edited:
Hi JohnBlack, just to clarify the 6.0 remote is an IR/UHF remote, the 5.0 is the IR only remote. The colored key on the bottom of the remote is what determines whether it is an IR or UHF. You will need to have a green #1 tab with the UHF symbol on it in order to make that remote work for TV1 as a UHF. We use to have replacement tabs for them but they removed them, so if you do not have that tab, you will need to replace the remote. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Additional info: The 6.0 remote will not program to TV1 as a UHF. Recommend that you need upgrade it to 21.0 remote, which can be programmed to TV1 as a UHF. The only 6.3 remote that will work needs the part number 143040. The SAT mode button has a black ring around it. All other 6.3 remotes will not address to TV1 in UHF.

Are you saying that 6.3 remote has different versions? Is this the same with all the remotes?

Unless I've lost too many brain cells, I programmed a 6.0 "TV2" remote to control a 625's TV1 tuner with the simple expedient of moving the switch to the UHF position, and then carving on the TV1 tab so that it could no longer move the switch back to IR mode. Worked great for years.

Solved it for me

I got rid of my TV2 and have a dualdvr. I came across the second remote for tv 2: 6.3 IR/UHF Pro. I took off the key and moved the white tab two clicks to the right (starting on the left) and now it works. So I have two remotes for one tv (HD 52inch). Awesome!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)