722 Won't Take Initial Download???

ProInstall

Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
Mpls/St. Paul, MN
I just spent the whole day messin' around trying to upgrade a customers (2) 625 receivers to (2) 722's. I could not get the 722's to take software downloads. :(

1st) The check switch always came up 1 of 12 and not 1 of 3 as I usually get with a dish 1000.4. I thought that IF the Receiver see's the LNB it will give you 1 of 3? I actually replaced the LNB with no changes...took the LNB and hooked it right up to the reciever with a 6' coax whip and was hoping to see 1 of 3 on check switch...Nope...1 of 12! Is this correct?

2nd) After the check switch completed its 12 of 12 it came back with some odd results like Disqu... (sorry don't rember the name) and like 5 ports. But on the signal strength meter I can get 61.5 to lock in, and sometimes 77 to lock in...after enough tries I will get the 722 to say is everything is set and it will attempt to download initial software...it set's up and i get the bar showing the status, but it never downloads! I tried powering off the receiver and waiting...nothing!

3rd) Dish Tech Support Stinks!!! :mad: I call up and ask for help and the stupid operator says "I don't see the 722 activated on this account. You need to activate the receiver for the software to download" :eek: Wow...the CART is so far in front of the HORSE it isn't even funny! Is there anyone to help with tech questions? I even asked for advanced tech support and she said she was!

:eureka I am going to take the two 722's back to me shop and see if I can get them to download on my dish 1000.4 there.

Also, after pulling out the 722's I re-installed the old 625's (because I wasn't going to leave the customer with out TV) I ran a check switch and it gave me 1 of 4! It showed the birds and what was connected! This to me is an indication to me that there is something wrong with the 722's???

Any help would be great!

yeah, ive done several of these. it is the software, not the lnb. if you use a 722 dn, or 722k you won't have this problem, but if you must use the 722's you have you can do it.
as long as one of the tuner inputs comes back with 61.5 as ok. lock onto that tuner and signal on 61.5, hit done, and it really should download.
for instance if tuner 2 has the 61.5 as ok, change the input to tuner 2 on the checkswitch screen and then lock on 61.5.
then when it boots back up it will automaticly do another checkswitch.
it can be done. ive had to go through several 1/2 hour long checkswitches with these sometimes to get it, but it works eventualy.
good luck!

download them at your shop using a dish 500 so they have field software. then just run the check once you are install with 1000.4, field software will recognize it.

Could it be that the old install used legacy equipment that is playing nice with the new switch for the system?

no this is what the 722s did with 1000.4 before the factory software was updated. they still work, but it takes FOREVER.
our shop discovered this the hard way, and got rid of all the 722's with outdated factory software.
the 722k and some newer 722's have the right stuff to recognize the switch.
i imagine what ahowar said will work too.

I found with the 722 that patience in definatley a virtue. First one I did on Eastern arc with the 1000.4 I called tech support and they said to do 2 check switch tests. As silly as it sounded, I did it and was able to get to download, It took so long I thought the reciever had frozen up, I started cleaning up and putting stuff away and about 40 minutes later I was good to go.

I found with the 722 that patience in definatley a virtue. First one I did on Eastern arc with the 1000.4 I called tech support and they said to do 2 check switch tests. As silly as it sounded, I did it and was able to get to download, It took so long I thought the reciever had frozen up, I started cleaning up and putting stuff away and about 40 minutes later I was good to go.
yeah you still have to do 2 checkswitches with some of the newer ones that actualy do a proper 4 test checkswitch, because i've noticed that even when the test comes back good,good,good, the 1000.4 lnb is reported as a dpp lnb 3or4, which isnt right.
but you still have to download it before the second checkswitch so it can recognize the lnb.
on the ones that do the 12 test chechswitch, i ususally have to do several tests before i get 61.5 back as 'good'

So when you get 12 on a check switch...do you let it go or do you reset and try again until you get 3 or 4?

Also...What would happen if you were supposed to install a Dish in the Eastern Arc and instead decided to Install it in the Western Arc and did not tell anyone...would it still operate just fine?

Note: I took the 2 722's back to our shop and just like magic, plugged them in and did a check switch and got my 1 of 4. I am running a 1000.2 at our shop. So I decided to download all of our HD receivers including the 211, 222, 622, and 722. Do the other receivers like the 211 have the same issues?

Possibly, if the 1K4 is newer than the factory firmware, and the boxes you have don't have something newer that fixes it. It's advisable to use something like a dish500 or 1000.2 that it will recognize out of the box for the initial download. Kind of like the old "connect directly to 119, download, then connect to the switch" that some of the ancient receivers required when using a switch they didn't recognize with factory firmware.

Unfortunatley, You need to let the 1-12 checkswitch finish. Then as long as you have (reception verified). Then do a second checkswitch and you should see the normal "1 of 4".
After that you should be able to take the download. It does take forever so be patient.

Unfortunatley, You need to let the 1-12 checkswitch finish. Then as long as you have (reception verified). Then do a second checkswitch and you should see the normal "1 of 4".
After that you should be able to take the download. It does take forever so be patient.
actually, i dont think it will do 1`of 4 until AFTER it downloads (on these particular receivers). eventually we'll use them all up, and the problem should be over.
from what i've seen doing western arc without modifying the work order does work...but it seems like asking for trouble in the future.

So when you get 12 on a check switch...do you let it go or do you reset and try again until you get 3 or 4?

Also...What would happen if you were supposed to install a Dish in the Eastern Arc and instead decided to Install it in the Western Arc and did not tell anyone...would it still operate just fine?

Note: I took the 2 722's back to our shop and just like magic, plugged them in and did a check switch and got my 1 of 4. I am running a 1000.2 at our shop. So I decided to download all of our HD receivers including the 211, 222, 622, and 722. Do the other receivers like the 211 have the same issues?

you'll find that whether or not it does this depends on the part number on the box. you may have a 722 or 722 reman that does 1-12, and it will be a specific part number. the so-called dn receivers, supposed to be ready for eastern arc, have a different part number.

Oh yeah you r right sca. I think the download needs to go first before you get the 1 of 4 test, but the 1-12 check switch needs to finish. Then once you get the download the switches and Sats you need will show correctly.

anyone remember when the hd boxes wouldn't recognize 129 but instead just say conn and then you did you download and the second test went fine?

kinda like same thing.

So when I order 722's in the future I should specify 722dn or 722k and that should avoid this problem?
i havent seen a 722k yet that does a 1 of 12
however on those you still need another checkswitch after the dl
but yeah, that'll make your jobs much quicker.
i wont be back in my office till monday, so i cant tell you the exact part number for the 722dn. generaly i think they have an A with a circle around it near the part number or description. same with the 222's.

So far you have been able to flop EA to WA without issues and without mention to anyone. Only exception is where your programming is located, here our HD locals are on 61.5 so a wing dish would be required if putting in WA. Easier to just throw up the 1000.4 imo.

I had this happen the other day.. 722 on a upgrade from a 612. Perfect (higher than usual signal) checked switch 1 of 4 - perfect, and it sat on searching for Information..the green bar goes all the way up to the "R" in information and just sticks...doesn't move for 20mins the whole time I'm waiting. I even tried the little remove the 1000.2 head add a W bracket and a single LNB for 119 to attempt to force it to download off that but didn't work either. I spent 2 hours on what should have been a 30min job trying to fix this.

Ended up plugging the 612 back in and setting up another upgrade two days later (which I didn't get back on my run so I'm pissed about that cause I ran the extra wire for the other room!!)

This is the first time I've had this happen on a 722, happened twice before on 211k's but the single LNB trick fixed it. I would rather sometimes use 722's instead of 722k's cause it gives me the TV out port for coax cause many customers don't have TV's with anything else and I don't wanna fool with trying to force a tuner through a 20year old VCR.

Don't understand

I would rather sometimes use 722's instead of 722k's cause it gives me the TV out port for coax cause many customers don't have TV's with anything else and I don't wanna fool with trying to force a tuner through a 20year old VCR.

Could you explain this since the 722k has a coax out even w/o the OTA module?

Can I use Superdish

Can you purchase HD channels only?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts