722K and external HDDs

User1001

Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
USA
thinking about having the unit activated so I can use an external HDD as external storage.
Is this for archiving prerecorded shows or does the box use it to record new shows?

I have an older USB drive (I've looked at the list here) that should work but would like to upgrade to a newer box around Xmas, Once this option on the DVR is activated, will it allow me to use different drives? I can archive some with this older drive for now but install a new one later and use it also? I understand that both would require formatting, I just don't know if I can upgrade my drive at a later date.

I also have a Passport, and they are not supported, only drives with external power supply. some have had some luck with passports though. has anyone tried using a powered hub with a passport and had success? I'd really like to use my passport since it has the required storage but the 722k lacks the power to run it properly. A hub would fix this problem on a typical PC but with the 722ks.....

also, does it matter which USB port is used, the one in the rear or the one in the front? I assume both are the same but.....

1. EHD's are used to archive from DVR. Can not be recorded directly on to (That's Directv).

2. USB powered (Passports) will not work, even with powered hub. Those who have had success have had it only intermittently.

3. USB port does not matter.

What's going on with my system?

Billing question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts