722K EHD to HWS

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
As mentioned last week, I decided to go with the purchase of a HWS/SJ to replace my 2 722K owned receivers.
I have about 45 hrs of recordings on one of the 722K that I need to move to an EHD in order to save the content.
I believe that the EHD with the recordings on it is completely compatible with the HWS? In other words the HWS will NOT try to reformat the drive?
After getting the combo up and running I can then plug the EHD into a USB port on back of HWS and it will be recognized with all content available for viewing.
Are there any tips/tricks that I should know about with the above process?
Thanks, Gerry

No tricks, it just works... But you might not see it for up to 72 hours. Hoppers need to digest for a while to get everything working properly.

No tricks, it just works... But you might not see it for up to 72 hours. Hoppers need to digest for a while to get everything working properly.

Never having a Hopper before I'm a little confused by "not see it for up to 72 hours" see what? Also how or where do you find the EHD in the Hopper interface (by hitting DVR or somewhere else)?
Thanks, Gerry

Never having a Hopper before I'm a little confused by "not see it for up to 72 hours" see what? Also how or where do you find the EHD in the Hopper interface (by hitting DVR or somewhere else)?
Thanks, Gerry
Hoppers take up to 72 hrs for all the apps, program images and updates to take effect. It's just normal. Your EHD will show above the DVR main screen, as the name of your Hopper (Family Room, Bedroom, etc.)

Hoppers take up to 72 hrs for all the apps, program images and updates to take effect. It's just normal. Your EHD will show above the DVR main screen, as the name of your Hopper (Family Room, Bedroom, etc.)

Try this for support (near the bottom of the page):
https://www.mydish.com/support/use-ehd

You select the external drive from the drop down list from the top color buttons. Not the same DVR type but the idea is the same.

Thanks guys!! Now I understand this much better as to what's happening and where to find things on the menu screen.
Hats off to you,
Gerry

Reactions: Tron2012
If I may indulge in another question. After I get my wiring done next week and the HWS up to the activation screen (w/o plugging in SJ) I need to call Dish and remove both of my owned 722Ks and add the HWS/SJ. I really actually hate calling Dish as most of the time it's impossible to get someone I can understand clearly to do equipment changes.
Would anyone have any tips as to possibly another route in calling to help with this type of clamamity?
Thanks, Gerry

If I may indulge in another question. After I get my wiring done next week and the HWS up to the activation screen (w/o plugging in SJ) I need to call Dish and remove both of my owned 722Ks and add the HWS/SJ. I really actually hate calling Dish as most of the time it's impossible to get someone I can understand clearly to do equipment changes.
Would anyone have any tips as to possibly another route in calling to help with this type of clamamity?
Thanks, Gerry
Your installer will call, as that you can not have any other DVRs on the account with the Hopper. So, he will get them deactivated before he does the Hopper activation. Also tell him at the start the old receivers are owned, so he can confirm if needed, otherwise he might want to take them with him.

And may I ask, are you sure you don't want to wait until the Hopper 3 is out in a couple of weeks and nix the super Joey?

Your installer will call, as that you can not have any other DVRs on the account with the Hopper. So, he will get them deactivated before he does the Hopper activation. Also tell him at the start the old receivers are owned, so he can confirm if needed, otherwise he might want to take them with him.

And may I ask, are you sure you don't want to wait until the Hopper 3 is out in a couple of weeks and nix the super Joey?

Kab- this is a self install as I bought the HWS/SJ from dishdepot. They should be here wed-thurs timeframe. I'm trying to understand the process/setup/etc. not having a hopper before.
As far as why not the H3, in my case I would need an end to end change ie: Dish/cabling/the whole works. It's just the wife and I so I don't need 16 tuners (!) and 5 will more than suffice for us. What has been killing me is the 2 tuners of the 722K in the living room from fall through spring as there are times that I need 3 tuners. I waited until CES to see what was going to be announced and the technical requirements. I mulled it over for a week before deciding on the HWS/SJ combo. I also have a 211K that we use in our RV and while I'm told I can have it on account with the H3, I can have it wired at house with the HWS as I have a DPP44 switch also.
So that's my thoughts and i'm sticking to it ;).
Gerry

Just remember, if it tries to format the drive, don't let it. Try again later. Sometimes the system burps, or is not ready, and tries to format something that doesn't need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts