722K HDD failure options

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Jim5506

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Slaton, Texas
Looks like the HDD in my 722k just cratered.

After several power cord reboots and one red button reboot, it is showing no recordings and 24 minutes of HD recording time, plus after the first power cord reboot it said I had HDD failure.

What is the cost for Dish to ship me a replacement without DHPP?

I need to weigh the replacement without cost vs cost of DHPP, to cancel DHPP or not, etc.

Last edited:
I'm assuming the receiver is leased. If it is, it's a one time $15 for shipping without the Service Plan (formerly known as DHPP), and free with it. If you add the Service Plan, it's $6/month, and if you remove it within 150 days off adding it, there's a one time $25 fee to cancel within 150 days, after the 150 days, its free to cancel.

What if it's leased but out of warranty? If that case too is only $15, then the fee looks mighty reasonable.

For it to be out of warranty, it would either need to be purchased, or have customer damage. Leased are always considered in warranty unless there's something that voids it. If it's out of warranty, it'll be more than $15.

Replacement is on its way, thanks anyway, Matt. I just saw your offer.

Replacement 722k arrived today.

Miraculously, the original has started working again after being disconnected overnight, so I've backed up the settings and timers to the remote and am copying recordings to a couple of EHD's.

I hope it continues to work until all programs are copied off.

I'll replace the receiver tomorrow and ship the old one back to El Paso for refurbing.

I'll put a note in the box about the nature of the HDD failure so they know what to test and replace.

I'm assuming the receiver is leased. If it is, it's a one time $15 for shipping without the Service Plan (formerly known as DHPP), and free with it. If you add the Service Plan, it's $6/month, and if you remove it within 150 days off adding it, there's a one time $25 fee to cancel within 150 days, after the 150 days, its free to cancel.

Just ran across thread this while searching about copying over my timers to a new replacement 722k. So it sounds like it's silly for me to keep the Service Plan with a leased receiver? But since I also have a legacy 508 (owned) which I gather will be replaced soon with a leased (?) new version, I should probably keep the Plan until that replacement is done?

Just ran across thread this while searching about copying over my timers to a new replacement 722k. So it sounds like it's silly for me to keep the Service Plan with a leased receiver? But since I also have a legacy 508 (owned) which I gather will be replaced soon with a leased (?) new version, I should probably keep the Plan until that replacement is done?
THATS THE PROBLEM ABOUT REOPENING THESE OLD THREADS With the increase to $7 on the protection plan they removed the minimum time you had to subscribe. Now you can open the protection plan and close it the same month without any penalty fee so why would you keep spending $7/mo when you don't need it.

I recently added the protection plan when I needed to have my LNB replaced in May. I was told then that I had to keep it on for at least 3 months.
Have things changed since then?

I recently added the protection plan when I needed to have my LNB replaced in May. I was told then that I had to keep it on for at least 3 months.
Have things changed since then?

Yes, there is no longer a minimum amount of time that you need to keep the protection plan. It can be cancelled at anytime without penalty, and it is now $7 per month.

*edited* - this post is no longer correct, please see below

Last edited:
MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
My apologies. We received an email today stating that the $25 fee to remove the protection plan within 120 days has been reinstated

A sound business decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)