722k locking up everyday after looking for system update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Big Bob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
I recently changed my schedule, so I changed the time of the daily system update check to 4:30 pm.
Now everyday, it is locking up right after the check.
I have to push the red button to get it to work.
I also have to unplug my hard drive so it will work too.
What is going on here?

If I must update to a newer receiver, can I still use the same external hard drive and will the programming stay on it?

Thanks

I recently changed my schedule, so I changed the time of the daily system update check to 4:30 pm.
Now everyday, it is locking up right after the check.
I have to push the red button to get it to work.
I also have to unplug my hard drive so it will work too.
What is going on here?

If I must update to a newer receiver, can I still use the same external hard drive and will the programming stay on it?

Thanks

Sounds like the 722 maybe on its last legs. You should be able to transfer your recordings to your Hopper whenever you upgrade.

Reactions: pattykay
I would immediately transfer anything you want to retain to an EHD which will work fine with whatever your next receiver is Hopper or VIP722. If the HDD fails you can't recover anything.

Reactions: wormil and HipKat
you could can transfer those recordings to an external hard drive and if you want you can get with Dish DIRT Team or make a call to Dish Network to see what receivers they have and most likely they will want you to move to an whole home receiver such as the hopper duo, hopper with sling, wally, and their most popular receiver the hopper 3 with sling just some suggestions to look for when calling dish customer service.

Reactions: pattykay
And, oddly, yesterday was the 1st time I did a 722 to Hopper 2 upgrade where the customer already had an EHD on his 722. Plugged int othe Hopper, waited 30 seconds for the pop up that a media device had been connected and there it was in the DVR Menu and recordings played off it flawlessly. My concern prior was whether the Hopper would try to format the EHD or if there needed to be a reboot to "see" the EHD.

Reactions: charlesrshell
you could can transfer those recordings to an external hard drive and if you want you can get with Dish DIRT Team or make a call to Dish Network to see what receivers they have and most likely they will want you to move to an whole home receiver such as the hopper duo, hopper with sling, wally, and their most popular receiver the hopper 3 with sling just some suggestions to look for when calling dish customer service.
Just to clarify, the Wally is not a whole-home receiver, but it does make a good DVR (by adding an external hard drive) especially if you only need service on one TV. The Wally would not work to play back the OP's existing recordings, though.

How do I get a hold of the DIRT team?

And does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the daily check for updates?

It is not possible to turn off the daily check. What I would try, just to see what happens, is to disconnect the EHD for 24 hours to see if the lockup goes away. Another thing is to do a power pull reboot to, maybe, correct the issue.

Good idea about disconnecting the EHD. I will give it a try.
I just watched it crash. gave a dialog about shutting down, seemed to go into screen saver mode where the message jumps around every few seconds, then the message just froze and the EHD is blinking like an error state. I will unplug and see what happens

How do I get a hold of the DIRT team?

And does anyone know if it is possible to turn off the daily check for updates?
As far as I know, a ViP DVR will not do the daily check at the scheduled time if it is busy recording something at that time. It will do the daily check at the next available hour when it is not recording, though, so you would have to be constantly recording to prevent it from ever doing the daily check. So, in theory, you could set a daily 24-hour long timer to record a slate channel (which would not take up as much hard drive space as a channel that actually has programming on it) and the ViP722k would never shut down. You could delete the previous day's recording each day, to keep these recordings from filling up your hard drive. Of course, this would cost you the use of the second tuner for anything else, and you would have to do guide downloads manually by scrolling right in the guide until you get the pop-up prompting you to do the download. So, this process may not be practical, but it is possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts