722k - New or Refurbed replacements?

Mike88

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
I need to get a defective 722k swapped & was curious if most replacements are new or refurbed. What's been most people's experience?

The ones I've received have been refurbished, this last go around, I didn't get a good 1 until #3.

It really depends on what DISH has in inventory, refurbs are always first choice for replacements but if you don't have them they still take care of the customer.

Mine was a refurb. Which meant I kept the old beat-up remote. No OTA module was installed. No user manual was provided. And it still has the slow guide and has the "Signal Loss" issue (strong signal, but does not resolve name on even transponders on 129 when I most want that channel) Two other receivers in the house have no problems - 622 and 211. If anyone has a 622 and is thinking about an upgrade, think again.

1. Yes, replacement remotes are cheap. I buy them all the time. I am very impressed with the 21.0.
2. I had a 622 upgraded to a 722 which failed and was replaced with a 722K. I didn't realize I had been "downgraded" to no OTA until I tried to program local channels after the technician left.
3. I will submit that not everyone thinks a computer-based manual is more convenient than a booklet. Especially old farts like me.
4. My point was, the transaction left a lot to be desired (at first they wanted me to pay $95 for a tech to check my antenna), and it seems to me that since the 722K was not in new packaging, and it doesn't work right, I got someone else's problem, not an actual refurb.

Last edited:
2. I had a 622 upgraded to a 722 which failed and was replaced with a 722K. I didn't realize I had been "downgraded" to no OTA until I tried to program local channels after the technician left.
That makes sense. Sorry, I assumed you previously had a 722K. I'm sure you realize that the OTA module is available from Dish for $50. http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/user-guides/accessories/OTA_brochure.pdf
It can be had for less on ebay. (Someone is actually trying to sell one for $60.99 plus $12.96 shipping :confused:)

The advantage to the 722K OTA module is you get two OTA tuners, as opposed to one in the 722, and you can watch OTA programming on TV2.

3. I will submit that not everyone thinks a computer-based manual is more convenient than a booklet. Especially old farts like me.
A number of years ago, I resolved to make a "Manuals" directory on my computer. I download manuals for every tool, appliance, and electronic device I buy and find it so much easier to reference them that way than to try to keep a box full of printed booklets.

4. My point was, the transaction left a lot to be desired (at first they wanted me to pay $95 for a tech to check my antenna), and it seems to me that since the 722K was not in new packaging, and it doesn't work right, I got someone else's problem, not an actual refurb.
I'd be pretty unhappy about that, too. Did you ever get it resolved? If not, I'd contact one of the DIRT memebers.

I like a hard copy of a manual. It's a whole lot easier to bring the manual into the TV room than bring in my PC.

While new DVRs can be defective, I am concerned about getting someone else's problem. IOW how is my DVR with an intermittent problem going to be repaired/refurbed? Right now Dish has no idea what is causing my problem. Dish will probably wipe the HDD, do a diagnostic, think eveyrthing is OK and ship the "refurbed" unit to someone else.

One problem that gets brought up once in a while is a recording's playback ending early. It seems to affect only a small number of people every once in a while, including myself. Even my local dealer is aware this & he's looked into it. I've contacted several Dish people & some are also aware of it. But no one, not even Dish technicians, knows what causes this nor how to fix it. Does Dish scrap these DVRs or do they pass QC checks & get passed on to someone else?

Mine was a refurb. Which meant I kept the old beat-up remote. No OTA module was installed. No user manual was provided. And it still has the slow guide and has the "Signal Loss" issue (strong signal, but does not resolve name on even transponders on 129 when I most want that channel) Two other receivers in the house have no problems - 622 and 211. If anyone has a 622 and is thinking about an upgrade, think again.
Is it only on even channels?

I went through three 'K' models in less than six month, as refurbished replacements from DISH. They would not hold the programming guide for more than a day or two. Finally decided to buy a new unit, it has worked perfectly for six months. BTW, The Dish Store sells remanufactured OTA tuners for $34.99, mine has been perfect.

Is it only on even channels?

Yes. It doesn't seem to matter the signal strength, when the problem starts the even TPs do not resolve the name. Changing the DPP44 port does nothing, and the 211 and 622 in house still work fine. As for the OTA tuner, by that time I was working with the loyalty team, and they agreed that I shouldn't have to pay to get back OTA. They offered to send someone out to install it, but I convinced them I could handle it. I got it less than 24 hours later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)