722k OTA update question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Hows the thoughts on the OTA now for the 722k? Has it had a SW update to help, or was this issue not as big as thought.

I'd like to go to one dvr, but Im not dropping the TiVo until I know the dual OTA tuners on the 722k work well.

Thanks.

Something I found out when I first got the 722k and the ota tuner module. Do NOT install the ota module till the receiver has taken its first software update. I did the opposite and found the ota sensitivity was really bad. I got all kinds of breakups , pixelation etc. I took the ota tuner out and re installed it and it worked like it was supposed to. Since the last software update the sensitivity of the ota tuner improved and is now comparable to what I got on my 622/722 dvrs. The only thing I notice is that the ota tuner has about a 5 - 6 point difference between them on the same channel in single mode using the pip feature. Now this isn't enough of a difference to cause any break ups and pixelation.

For example in my area of Southeast, Texas:

ota tuner1/tuner 2

76/71 on ABC & Nbc - 12.1/12.2
88/83 on CBS & Cw- 6.1/6.2
78/73 on FOX- 4.1

Its good to hear its better than originally thought.

I love the tivo, but would like to consolidate to one box, and recording two OTA at a time is very important.

The 722k will make you forget about your old tivo. I love the 4 recordings at one time feature. It makes conflicts during prime time a thing of the past on the networks. The 922s will be the same basic receiver with the ota module , just like the 722k. Except of course the sling features, the new guides menus etc.

Been on the phone for 20 minutes trying to order, this guy is not the brightest. He first told me that the 722 would record 2 things at once, then I said "sat, I want two OTA"

still on hold :(

now he's telling me he cannot do it and I need to contact a retailer, BUT, there is not one in my area. WTF.......

Ok, third times a charm I guess. This time, i got sent to a higher level associate, who did the dishnitup, and got me the 722k and module for $105 (dunno how). They are making me do an install, so the tech will be out Tuesday. This girl was great, and very helpful. Too bad they cant all be that way.

I called Sat. to ask what I needed to do to get a 722k was sent to retention and they said they would send a 722k at no charge with a two year agreement. OTA mod. was $29.

Hows the thoughts on the OTA now for the 722k? Has it had a SW update to help, or was this issue not as big as thought.
I went from a 622 to a 722k and all of my locals "lost" 10 points on the signal meter. That said, I got 97-100 on all channels, so the drop meant very little in my scenario. Then we got a s/w update that miraculously raised the signal 5-10 points. Hmmm.... Most opinions are that that isn't possible to fix a pure hardware issue with software.

Something I found out when I first got the 722k and the ota tuner module. Do NOT install the ota module till the receiver has taken its first software update. I did the opposite and found the ota sensitivity was really bad. I got all kinds of breakups , pixelation etc. I took the ota tuner out and re installed it and it worked like it was supposed to. Since the last software update the sensitivity of the ota tuner improved and is now comparable to what I got on my 622/722 dvrs. The only thing I notice is that the ota tuner has about a 5 - 6 point difference between them on the same channel in single mode using the pip feature. Now this isn't enough of a difference to cause any break ups and pixelation.

For example in my area of Southeast, Texas:

ota tuner1/tuner 2

76/71 on ABC & Nbc - 12.1/12.2
88/83 on CBS & Cw- 6.1/6.2
78/73 on FOX- 4.1

Yes, I had mentioned on another post that people should follow the instructions that come with the dual OTA tuner and download the software FIRST. I have had no problems with 2 of the OTA modules I installed by taking the software download first.

I'd like to go to one dvr, but Im not dropping the TiVo until I know the dual OTA tuners on the 722k work well.

Thanks.

I have a Tivo and 722 and 722K installed using the same antenna, and all boxes OTA tuners perform equally. In other words, they all get the same channels just as well and they all don't get a few channel. There has been no operational difference among the Tivo and the Dish STB's. I would not lose any OTA channels or performance if I were to dump the Tivo. However, the Tivo Series 3 does have the best HD picture quality (not due to any OTA tuner performance) with the 722K a close 2nd.

Good to know that the instructions actually state to install SW first. I'll keep an eye on my Dish installer, Im sure he's gonna wanna try and put it all together first, but maybe not.

Im kinda excited, getting back to one dvr will be nice, especially the WAF. I've already got a WD My DVR Expander on the way from Amazon so I can activate my ext storage.

Dish had an installer bring out my 722k and he was certainly knowledgeable and a very nice guy, but he inserted the module before hooking up the receiver. Made no difference though... I have the "manual" that comes with the OTA module and I don't recall it saying to install the receiver's s/w and then add in the module.

Gotcha. The newest SW update might have been what helped everyone anyways. I'll make a note of 622 SS's tomorrow morning, then not the 722k after everything is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts