722k Programming Guide for Over-The-Air

seanavent

Mar 28, 2009
San Francisco
Does anyone know whether you can get the program guide to display the programming for the OTA channels when using the OTA module?

It seems ridiculous to me that you have to pay for the module and then it can't decipher or show the program list that I can otherwise get over the air with a regular TV or a $30 digital box.

The one reason I went with Dish is that I could pipe in OTA channels and not have to pay for them. So no local subscriptions. So far, I'm not happy with Dish.

And then there's the issue of having to plug in the phone line or ethernet to the 722k to forego a $5 charge each month...Why???????

Cheers....

Sean

You will get local OTA in the guide when you subscribe to them. Otherwise, you will have to set manual timers. The phone/ethernet is a charge that should be easy to avoid. If you had checked here earlier, none of this would be a surprise.

I agree with KAB, these things are not surprises. Right now you are paying $5 to not have a phone/ethernet connection and not paying the $5 locals charge. Hook the receiver to a phone line or modem, avoid the $5 charge, and pay that same $5 for locals. And you can definitely get that info off of a digital converter box, but can you record on it? Or, like KAB said, just set manual VCR-style timers and you won't have to pay a thing for locals.

Does anyone know whether you can get the program guide to display the programming for the OTA channels when using the OTA module?

It seems ridiculous to me that you have to pay for the module and then it can't decipher or show the program list that I can otherwise get over the air with a regular TV or a $30 digital box.

The one reason I went with Dish is that I could pipe in OTA channels and not have to pay for them. So no local subscriptions. So far, I'm not happy with Dish.

And then there's the issue of having to plug in the phone line or ethernet to the 722k to forego a $5 charge each month...Why???????

Cheers....

Sean
YOU should have done your homework before subscribing both are well known facts to forum members.

Lack or research, user error, won't read, no common sense...all Dish's fault!:rolleyes:

While it is true that the OP could have foun d out this simple info from doing basic research before subbing, it still doesn't mitigate the fact that what Dish does in this regard is absolute BS.

If a user has a DISH receiver that can receive OTA programming, and has even paid extra for it with a 722k, they should be receiving OTA EPG info. But, obviously, Dish's Executive VP of Nickel and Diming doesn't agree.

So if I purchase the top-of-the-line DSL modem and hook it to my phone line, I should be able to receive DSL service whether or not I pay for it? After all, I spent money! It's Dish's EPG, not ours. If we want to use it, there is a fee. E* lets you can record until your heart's content for absolutely nothing VCR style, so you aren't paying for the rights to record, you are paying for the descriptions. You are more than welcome to create your own equipment and charge yourself nothing, but for me, I'll pay $60 (or the price of one PS3 or 360 game) a year for that luxury. I also know of no other company that allows you to record content not provided by them on their equipment with EPG info and all for no charge.

I just got the 722K this week but they didn't send the OTA module. Right now, I have my HD locals coming in by antenna to the tv and the picture is so much nicer than on my 622 where I have the local HD going through the satellite box. The trade off, for me, is not being able to record to my DVR so that is why I am going to sacrifice the PQ over the ability to record and also having the local HDs show up seamlessly in the Dish guide. Also, it's a pain to switch from the 722K to the antenna just to watch locals in HD.

Run a splitter off of your antenna to feed both your TV and your 722k. That way, you can DVR and watch live programming with better PQ!

As everyone else has said no surprises. Subbing to locals (available in SF) will also give you the opportunity to record three programs at the same time: 2 off the satellite tuner and one off the OTA tuner.

S~

No OTA module

Run a splitter off of your antenna to feed both your TV and your 722k. That way, you can DVR and watch live programming with better PQ!

He said he doesn't have his OTA module yet. That means that splitting the OTA cable won't make any difference. No device in the K to receive OTA.

Thanks for all the comments .... But I'm still unhappy. I have to pay the additional $5 a month for something that (in my opinion) should be included. I think that Dish Network either:

1) Lacked the foresight or technical ability to include the possibility of having OTA programming

or

2) Purposefully try to force people to pay the $5 for local programing that is free otherwise. Dish uses the 'discount' of that $5 to get people to sign up. If I wanted to pay for the local channels I probably would have gone with another service.

Either way, it's not a good thing. If I had known - no where does it say so in the subscription papers that I can find - I would have designed my set up differently from the get go. And it really is hard to know what questions to ask (of DishTV or the forums) prior to getting service. I never would have thought that this should be an issue......

And of course the $5 fee for not hooking up to the phone line or ethernet is weird as well. The guy who installed the dish said that it's a security measure.

Oh well, I got suckered, right???

locals

You have to pay for locals from any service that provides them, cable, sat does not matter because they have to pay the locals a fee to have the right to retransmit them. If you want free locals then just use your ant and buy a TV guide. has always been this way. Ly TV has the free TV Guide on screen and I can use that. You have to do your research before you do anything. Every provider has charges for things you would expect for free.

Thanks for all the comments .... But I'm still unhappy. I have to pay the additional $5 a month for something that (in my opinion) should be included. I think that Dish Network either:

1) Lacked the foresight or technical ability to include the possibility of having OTA programming

or

2) Purposefully try to force people to pay the $5 for local programing that is free otherwise. Dish uses the 'discount' of that $5 to get people to sign up. If I wanted to pay for the local channels I probably would have gone with another service.
Either way, it's not a good thing. If I had known - no where does it say so in the subscription papers that I can find - I would have designed my set up differently from the get go. And it really is hard to know what questions to ask (of DishTV or the forums) prior to getting service. I never would have thought that this should be an issue......

And of course the $5 fee for not hooking up to the phone line or ethernet is weird as well. The guy who installed the dish said that it's a security measure.

Oh well, I got suckered, right???

It isn't FREE to Dish Network (or DirecTV or any cable company for that matter). They have to pay a negotiated price to each and every one of these local station owners to show their channel.

It isn't FREE to Dish Network (or DirecTV or any cable company for that matter). They have to pay a negotiated price to each and every one of these local station owners to show their channel.

And they have to pay whoever does their guides. In this case Tribune.

S~

Cheers....

Sean

Required of all two tuner receivers. It is basically a receiver that can be used with two separate TVs rather than having two receivers (yes there will be a additional receiver fee for that). If it is hooked to the internet or phone line the fee is waived. Seems very fair to me.

S~

The OTA programing guide is free to Dish and everyone else. It comes across in the Digital TV signal. It's just that Dish chose to exclude the ability to show it through their system.

Still no one can tell me WHY Dish requires a phone line or ethernet to be hooked up. The system works very well without it, so it's not a needed item. The technical support couldn't tell me either. Does anyone have an answer? Not that it matters much anymore - they have my money, but I'm curious.

Cheers,

Sean

So if I purchase the top-of-the-line DSL modem and hook it to my phone line, I should be able to receive DSL service whether or not I pay for it? After all, I spent money! It's Dish's EPG, not ours. If we want to use it, there is a fee. E* lets you can record until your heart's content for absolutely nothing VCR style, so you aren't paying for the rights to record, you are paying for the descriptions. You are more than welcome to create your own equipment and charge yourself nothing, but for me, I'll pay $60 (or the price of one PS3 or 360 game) a year for that luxury. I also know of no other company that allows you to record content not provided by them on their equipment with EPG info and all for no charge.
Stupid analogy. But, I've come to expect a certain amount of Dish-kissing from the herd of Dishites that seem to frequent SG.

The OP didn't purchase a receiver and expect to receive free programming, as you imply with your erroneous analogy. He expects to receive the EPG info for the programming his receiver is capable of receiving.

And, I know of at least one other company that does indeed allow you to record programming that they don't provide on their HD DVR, and also provide the EPG info for that programming without charging extra. (Hint...the company name begins with a "D".)

As everyone else has said no surprises. Subbing to locals (available in SF) will also give you the opportunity to record three programs at the same time: 2 off the satellite tuner and one off the OTA tuner.

S~
Four programs. The 722K can record two sat and two OTA simultaneously. Of course, he'll have to pay an add'l $5/mo if he wants to use the guide to set the OTA recordings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts