722k Recording Scheduler Problem

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
Did they download some new software this week to the 722’s? Starting on Monday my 722 started recording old shows (reruns) and skipped new ones. I’ve got my scheduler setup to only record new versions of shows and so far this week it recorded all of the shows in the scheduler that were on Monday and Tuesday night even though they were reruns, and skipped shows that were new.

Anyone else have this problem? Tried doing a reset of the receiver and it started recording another rerun after the reset. Any suggestions?

Most of the time problems like these are the fault of the program guide (provided by Tribune). However, the usual problem is that the receiver records reruns thinking that they are new. This has happened a lot in the past. Dish decided that it is better to err on the safe side and record shows that it can't tell whether or not they are really new.

There is some hidden data that is provided to Dish by Tribune that tells the receiver that it is a new show (this data is hidden from the user, and it is NOT the episode number or the 'New' designation that we can see in the guide data). When this data is missing or incorrect, the receiver can't tell whether or not the show is really new, so it records it anyway just to be sure that you don't miss it.

I got an episode of No Ordinary family recored last night on the ota Abc from Beaumont. First of all , the timer for the show is set up for the Satellite ABC station from Houston. Second of all the show was from October and not a new episode. Third of all the recording never stopped till I rebooted the receiver. Definitely freaky.

I understand the problem with the information coming from the Tribune, but in the past it's never been with network (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox) shows. This week it impacted about 70% of the shows I've got set up to record. It also impacted first run shows by not recording.

The problem seems to be with Dish's DVR timer software being buggy as TiVo, also using Tribune services, records repeats when set for New very rarely, while Dish has A LOT of timers that need me to manually skip many repeats. Yes, Dan announced on a Tech Forum a few years ago that they did indeed fix the software to more likely record repeats so that we were certain not to miss new episodes being recorded. This may not be a problem to some, but I have a ton of events I must manually skip--SLOW going on the 722, but much faster on the 722K--to prevent them from taking up my HDD space. Would love it if Dish could ever fix this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)