722k Replaced, fan super loud again

wase4711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 22, 2004
Outside Chicago
on my second 722k in 90 days; first one had a variety of problems, including a super loud fan; 2 week old replacement now also sounds like a 747 idling on the runway..

its not lack of air movement, until is on a wide open shelf..

am I the only one, or does every 722k sound like a jet engine?

What are your HDD temperatures showing? Menu-6-3, scroll down about 10 pages.

honestly, I am not certain; its down in the family room off the kitchen, and at least once a day I notice the loud noise.
I unplug it for a few minutes, replug it in, and its quiet for awhile...but, within the next 24 hours or so, it starts up again..

Not saying this is the answer, but the fan goes to the max when the receiver re-boots itself after updates. What time of day do you have updates set for?

Make sure nothing is against the sides of the receiver or on top. If either side is blocked, the airflow is constrained and the fan will rev to high speed.

Do you have an external hard drive or other USB device plugged in? (Maybe it is overloading the power supply?)
Is this your only receiver? (Maybe there is a fault with the dish that is overloading the power supply?)

no EHD on my system
I do have a sling adapter, connected via usb, but its only used occasionally

I have 1-722k, and 2- 211k's, connected to 6 tv's in the house.
Rarely, if ever, is there more than 1 tv going at a time, and, the "noisy" 722k never has more than one tv on at any time...

max = 140
low=68

avg 123

doesn't seem abnormal, does it?

Max=140° is definitely NOT normal, the receiver is on the verge of overheating and eventually it will shut down.

It is also possible that the noise you hear is not from the fan but the HD just before it fails.

well, those numbers are almost identical to the ones that my last receiver had as well..
I can not fathom how the hd can be getting so warm; its in a very cool area, connected to a Tripp lite power control box, and the ambient temps in that area are around 68 degrees

Max=140° is definitely NOT normal, the receiver is on the verge of overheating and eventually it will shut down.

It is also possible that the noise you hear is not from the fan but the HD just before it fails.

My 722's temp's are 120/96 max/min and avg 113. I have a laptop cooling fan under it. My sling and ehd are connected via a usb hub to the 722.

does the sling adapter need to be out in the open, on top of the receiver, or can it be moved off, slightly behind the receiver?
i just realized that my sling adapter has been sitting on top of the receiver; its warm, and the heat it gives off may be migrating right into the case of the 722, directly on top of where the HD might be inside..

Will the Sling still be able to "transmit" effectively, if it is moved back, behind the 722?

High temp of 140° is definitely on the verge of overheating. However, the High temp reading on these receivers is NOT being update continuously on the down slope (Low and Avg readings are).

It takes up to 3 weeks of continuous operation for the High temp reading to stabilize if the receiver is cooling down. You mentioned that the receiver is only 2 weeks old (I assume its a refurbished one), so if the receiver is on an open shelf and doesn't feel very hot then your High temp reading of 140° could be from the previous owner of this receiver. I am not (neither Dish is) aware of a simple way of resetting the High temp reading.

As far as the noise, like I said it could the HD not the fan. I had a "new" receiver (found out later it was refurbished) that the HD sounded like it was going to takeoff any minute and within a week it failed.

Thanks for the insight; I will check the temps again tomorrow, but, moving the sling adapter off the top of the receiver has made it feel a lot cooler to the touch, so hopefully this hd isn't going to be fried soon..