Poor picture quality, menu quality and sorta distortion around letters, DISH VIP622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kenneyd

Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
jacksonville fl
Poor picture quality, menu quality and sorta distortion around letters, DISH VIP622

Hi,

I think i've read hundreds of post over the last few days trying to find some help, not real luck or answers.

I've have dish and this vip622 for maybe 5 years now in two different states with the same issue. I have a VIP622, running HMDI to my av recever, then HDMI to my TV.

At first i though this was just a TV issue, I had a olivia 26'' 72p then an olivia 42'', then a refurb 47'' vizio.... all non-high end.
The picture on HD is slightly ''pixely'' not terrible, but not great. especially watching news or looking at the dish menus, there are always slight distortions around the letters, especially the bottoms on them. The menu over-all looks grainy.
On all my TV i have messed with setting, had them cailibrated etc...

I have a ps3 and watching blurays through the say set up are great, with non of the blemishes listed above.

At my old work they have a newer 60'' samsung with directTV, and the menus are crisp and no 'pixel'y' look. jealous

At my new work they just got a 60'' sharp with comcast cable and the picture is even better, just absolutely stunning! more jealous!

Thinking it was my TV i now have a LG 55lw5600 3d tv. (its been calibrated)
Bluerays are just amazing! as good as the sharp at work, but the DISH is worse then ever. Its like the more detailed TV takes whatever blemmed DISH picture and makes it worse.

Im a techy at the TV, not so much the VIp622, I went to the install screen and it showed a green signal bar at 65%

any thoughts? im really close to just dropping dish.

My first thought is to check the resolution settings on the receiver (vip 622). Go to menu, system setup, then HDTV setup and check to see if it's on 720p or 1080i.

It's time to start eliminating causes. Try swapping the HDMI cables between the PS3 and 622. Check the settings on your AV receiver and make sure it is not doing any over-processing of the 622 signal. Try swapping the ports that you are using on the AV receiver. Try hooking the 622 directly to the TV using a different HDMI cable.

My first thought is to check the resolution settings on the receiver (vip 622). Go to menu, system setup, then HDTV setup and check to see if it's on 720p or 1080i.

Its for sure in 1080i, thanks

It's time to start eliminating causes. Try swapping the HDMI cables between the PS3 and 622. Check the settings on your AV receiver and make sure it is not doing any over-processing of the 622 signal. Try swapping the ports that you are using on the AV receiver. Try hooking the 622 directly to the TV using a different HDMI cable.

I will try this again. Over 5 years, 4 houses and actually 5 TVs there has been alot of switching things out, cables and all (yet still have the issue this whole time) I have maybe 6 cheapy hdmi cables but i do think i have used my 10' one consistently from the AV receiver to the TV but i will swap it out tonight.
I have for sure tried source direct to the TV with not luck.

I will also take a picture of the letters and you guys tell me what you think, I find it hard to believe im the only one with this issue, but I have been know to be that unlucky

If multiple swap-outs and configurations have had no effect over the years, and the 622 is the only constant, I'd bet on the 622 being faulty.

EDIT: Have you tried component?

Last edited:
Talked to two different reps over 45 minutes and got really no trouble shooting other than "make sure the TV is in 1080i... reset box...make sure your on an HD channel"

Then they wanted me to pay for a new receiver, even if it didn't fix the issue.
Iv'e been a very loyal customer for just about 6 years and will be leaving dish soon.

It sounds like you receover is starting to fail. Is it doing this on tv2 as well? Also it may be your lnbf. To make sure you lnbf (eye) is good. Take your remote hit your menu button then go to system setup - installation - system info. Then there will be a test at the top that will automaticly start running once it goes to 100% it will come back and say good in green lettering or it will come back and say error select "details" for more info in orange lettering. If you get the orange lettering then you have lnb drift which means your lnbf is going bad.

It sounds like you receover is starting to fail. Is it doing this on tv2 as well? Also it may be your lnbf. To make sure you lnbf (eye) is good. Take your remote hit your menu button then go to system setup - installation - system info. Then there will be a test at the top that will automaticly start running once it goes to 100% it will come back and say good in green lettering or it will come back and say error select "details" for more info in orange lettering. If you get the orange lettering then you have lnb drift which means your lnbf is going bad.

LNBF will have nothing to do with PQ. It is either working or not working. If picture was going off & on then that would be sign of a bad LNBF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)