722K Screen Shots and Initial Setup Thoughts

...It took about 10 or 11 days for the wrong 722 to arrive.

After further consideration I decided to just return the 722 and not re-order the 722k, especially when they wanted me to pony up another $104.99. I think that conversation took about 30 minutes.

Today I called, after looking at my new bill (to be charged on 3/25 to my cc) and see they had either not received or not recognized what they had received yet. I did not, my mistake, write down the UPS tracking number on the tag they provide so there is no way for me to see when it has arrived.

I just know it is going to take me a few more calls until this is resolved. The person on the line did say he would credit the OTA tuner charge. I am a patient person and I will just wait another week and then make the next call, after seeing if the $75.00 Upgrade fee has been credited yet. That will be 13 full working days, plus the afternoon it was shipped. I just have the feeling it is going to take a supervisor level conversation to eventually get this resolved. I at least put in the shipment a letter explaining they sent the wrong receiver. Nothing was opened.

Called yesterday about refund for the Upgrade Fee. First CSR was useless. Her supervisor told me they would not refund the $75 fee. I did honestly try to remain calm as I asked her how could I be charged for something that I never received? (order 722k; receive 722).

I asked to speak to someone above her. That would be her manager she said. A short time later she returned and offered me $25 credit. :eek: I will let you decide for yourselves how calmly I responded to that.

I again reiterated my stance as to how a charge for something I ordered and never received was defenseable? Then she claimed in my call of a couple weeks ago I had agreed to this. Huh?:confused:

Again I asked to speak with her manager. Back on hold again for a short time. This time when she came back on she said she would refund the $75 because I have been a long-standing DISH customer.

Interesting...before I called yesterday on 4/03 I checked my account online and nothing showed for a $75 credit. Just now I looked and the credit is there but with an action date of 4/01 and post date of 4/02.

I knew it was going to be a nightmare to get this resolved. I'm still a loyal DISH customer as I like the hardware and am content with my programming. The only way I would ever go to D* would be if it was the only game in town.

Maybe sometime down the road, after the receiver backlog is cleared, I may consider upgrading at that time.

211 as dVR?

My experience setting up two 211's as DVR's:
It is frustrating to call Dish for any real technical support these days. Idiots from a foreign land reading scripts who have no idea what they are talking about. I used to be able to press technical support and get a higher level answer but that has been gone for some time, now what you usually get is an automatron with no ability to think so you get answers to questions you didn't ask, etc.
That said, the service itself is decent and I now have 3 really good dVR's to boot.
I have a 722 with an expansion 500GB hard drive that I installed last year and it works great. Then I read about 211 receivers being made into dVR's by paying a $39.95 one time per household fee and buying a hard drive up to 750GB and using the USB port. So I called Dish to ask a few questions. My mistake.
I have two Solo VIP 211's that took a reasonable amount of fanagling and a defective receiver replacement to get. So I called Dish and after having numerous calls denying that you could make a 211 into a DVR and insisting that the only way to have a DVR was by getting a 722K etc. I asked for supervisors, managers, technical support department and all.
Eventually I got someone in tech support with a brain....He explained how to implement the DVR function but insisted that it was not available with a 211 and would require me to upgrade to a 211K. And as usual, that meant a new 24 month obligation plus $75 upgrade charge in addition to the $40 Receiver /DVR fee. I told the fellow that I would not do that out of principle and cost and hung up frustrated by the waste of time feeling I seem to always get when I call Dish.
Anyway, a week later I got on Dish's website and found the instructions to upgrade a 211 and add the DVR feature by buying a hard drive. Since I have two 211's this makes sense. You can download a very simple PDF file that knows a lot more than the Dish employees. I guess the confusion with the 211K is that it has a built in 500GB hard drive, but since you can buy a WD Ext. 750GB hard drive at Staples for under $100 why get the 211k with 500GB limitation?
Anyway, it works great and the installation is simple, requires no upgrade for $75, just the one time per household $40, and no new contract. Sometimes you have to wonder if Dish just plays dumb to get you to sign up again and again spending more money.....Nah, they are just incompetent.

Last edited:
My experience setting up two 211's as DVR's:
It is frustrating to call Dish for any real technical support these days. Idiots from a foreign land reading scripts who have no idea what they are talking about. I used to be able to press technical support and get a higher level answer but that has been gone for some time, now what you usually get is an automatron with no ability to think so you get answers to questions you didn't ask, etc.
That said, the service itself is decent and I now have 3 really good dVR's to boot.
I have a 722 with an expansion 500GB hard drive that I installed last year and it works great. Then I read about 211 receivers being made into dVR's by paying a $39.95 one time per household fee and buying a hard drive up to 750GB and using the USB port. So I called Dish to ask a few questions. My mistake.
I have two Solo VIP 211's that took a reasonable amount of fanagling and a defective receiver replacement to get. So I called Dish and after having numerous calls denying that you could make a 211 into a DVR and insisting that the only way to have a DVR was by getting a 722K etc. I asked for supervisors, managers, technical support department and all.
Eventually I got someone in tech support with a brain....He explained how to implement the DVR function but insisted that it was not available with a 211 and would require me to upgrade to a 211K. And as usual, that meant a new 24 month obligation plus $75 upgrade charge in addition to the $40 Receiver /DVR fee. I told the fellow that I would not do that out of principle and cost and hung up frustrated by the waste of time feeling I seem to always get when I call Dish.
Anyway, a week later I got on Dish's website and found the instructions to upgrade a 211 and add the DVR feature by buying a hard drive. Since I have two 211's this makes sense. You can download a very simple PDF file that knows a lot more than the Dish employees. I guess the confusion with the 211K is that it has a built in 500GB hard drive, but since you can buy a WD Ext. 750GB hard drive at Staples for under $100 why get the 211k with 500GB limitation?
Anyway, it works great and the installation is simple, requires no upgrade for $75, just the one time per household $40, and no new contract. Sometimes you have to wonder if Dish just plays dumb to get you to sign up again and again spending more money.....Nah, they are just incompetent.

The 211K DOES NOT have a hard drive. I have one and you add an EXTERNAl hard drive to it just like the 211. And By the way you can use a 1TB drive now on any VIP receiver and some people have got 2TB drives to work well

Outsourcing call-centers is hardly new, and in fact has been the norm with Dish for quite a few years now. The more knowledge you have, the easier it is to deal with. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to educate the CSR. I find being civil not having great expectations reduces stress over something you can't really do anything about anyway. ;)

Obviously these people are limited to a charts on a screen to resolve issues. Being outsourced you can hardly expect them to be experts, since the whole purpose of outsourcing is to save money for the company not having degreed techs and engineers manning phones.

On a couple of occasions I've had to verify a fix by emailing ceo at echostar...usually if there is a problem it's readily resolved that way.

Except for this recent back-ordered receiver situation, I've had very few issues with Dish over the 10 years, also partly to do a competent local installer in our area.

Well I woke up this morning and so far not so good.

I program my TV to turn on automatically each morning so I have the local news on that I can listen to before my Alarm clock goes off.

This morning the TV came on as normal and the 722K tuned to the correct channel, however the audio coming from the TV was all garbeled like the news reports

Scott,

My first time to post, but a long time reader and Dish customer for 9+ years. I've got a 622 that my bedroom is on TV2, how did you set the receiver to turn on? My TV will turn on and go to the Sat, but I would have to leave the Sat on all night and miss downloads.

I've gone through every menu item I can find, is this a feature just on the 722k?

Scott,

My first time to post, but a long time reader and Dish customer for 9+ years. I've got a 622 that my bedroom is on TV2, how did you set the receiver to turn on? My TV will turn on and go to the Sat, but I would have to leave the Sat on all night and miss downloads.

I've gone through every menu item I can find, is this a feature just on the 722k?

Disable Inactivity Standby in Preferences. Set a timer for the channel you want to wake up to, but instead of a DVR timer, set it for Auto Tune. Set it Mon-Fri, or however you want it.

Last edited:
I see by reading ALL of this thread about the 772K that it is BEST or required to "configure" BOTH of the remotes that come with the receiver............IF, at this time, one only has ONE TV, can they BOTH be setup on THAT TV? I know one is HD and one is SD - at present I only use my HDTV.

I get installed on the 6th of May - trying to decide between the 722K or the "vanilla" 722. To tell the truth I really can live w/o 2 OTA tuners..........are the other features of the 722K enough better in ways that you would suggest ordering it even though they are still working out the bugs?

TKS:confused:

722k Dishcomm

Anyone else having problems setting up Dishcomm? I am on my fourth receiver, all with error message saying can not scan discomm please contact dish.

Just got mine all setup...no problems so far. They forgot the return shipping label, but the unit is working great. No problems with the OTA module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)