722K to Hopper with Sling self install questions

Riktar2

Original poster
Mar 22, 2018
Neosho, WI
This is going to be long so I will apologize in advance:

My VIP722K (I own it) is starting to get flaky. IE: Sometimes it skips recording what is on my schedule and sometimes it records stuff I didn't ask it to.

So I want something newer.

I found a VERY good deal on a Hopper with Sling that has no outstanding balances.

Since I have always done my own installs I figured I could do the Hopper by my lonesome. But my research is giving me conflicting information.

Before I begin, here is my present setup: Only a single TV running on my VIP722K. I picked up a used Dish Sling adapter so I could watch my recordings on my tablet when the wife is hogging the TV. I have NO plans to expand my system since it's just the Wife and me (Kids are grown and gone) and with the Sling feature, I have no problem watching what I want.

I have heard that "yes, you can just deactivate and unplug your 722, call Dish and activate your Hopper without any issues." and "NO, you must install a Dish Solo Node between the Dish and the receiver even if you are only using just the Hopper.

I did hookup the Hopper directly to my existing (RG6) cable setup and the diagnostics showed a good connection to 110, 119 and 129. I have not checked the signal strength on any of them yet but will do so since the Dish has not been "adjusted" in over 10 years.

I also called Dish Customer service about deactivating the VIP722K and was told that I would be REQUIRED to have a technician come out for the small fee of $95 since I was installing "upgraded/different" equipment from what I presently have on my account.

I presently enjoy flex pack pricing and am under NO commitment with Dish since I own my equipment. While I don't want (or see the need) to have someone come out to "install" my system and (importantly) I don't want to get roped into a 2 year commitment because Dish came out and touched my system.

And so I ask: Can I simply deactivate my VIP722K, unplug it, hookup the Hopper and then call Dish to activate it without having a tech come out? Or will they block my activation? And can I simply use my existing cable (It's direct LNB to the receiver with a grounded lightning block in between) or do I have to install the node? That part is not that big of a deal as long as its simply a matter of ordering one from Amazon and putting it in place of the grounded lightning arrest block. Although I am not looking forward to climbing on the porch roof to add the additional RG6 cable from the LNB to the node.

If you made it this far, thanks for bearing with this long winded post.

Reactions: pattykay
For a Hopper 2 or Hopper with Sling you need either a hybrid LNB or 2 lines from a DishProPlus LNB to a node.

Reactions: Riktar2
The reason you need the solo node is because with only 1 feed into the Hopper form the Dish, you'll lose Tuner 3, so like Sheridan said,m you need 2 lines form the LNB to a node or 1 line from a Hybrid LNB to the Hopper. Using a Hub in that instance is required by Dish, but it works with a straight line from the Hybrid LNB to the Hopper

JSheridan: Thanks for the LNB info. I will head off to Amazon and check on availability.

HipKat: Thanks for the information on losing the 3rd Channel with my present setup. I will go out on the roof and identify what LNB/Dish setup I have. I will assume that since the Dish hasn't been touched in 10 years (It might be less than that but not by much) I have an outdated/incompatible LNB.

So when I have the compatible components in place, what do I do about Dish requiring a technician come out to activate the Hopper? As I mentioned in my initial post, it's not so much about the money as it is having to accept a 2 year agreement on my system since DishNetwork came out and touched my system. Also, can I assume that my existing VIP722K will see and work with the updated LNB/Node without having to reset and start from scratch?

Thanks again guys!

Reactions: JSheridan
JSheridan: Thanks for the LNB info. I will head off to Amazon and check on availability.

HipKat: Thanks for the information on losing the 3rd Channel with my present setup. I will go out on the roof and identify what LNB/Dish setup I have. I will assume that since the Dish hasn't been touched in 10 years (It might be less than that but not by much) I have an outdated/incompatible LNB.

So when I have the compatible components in place, what do I do about Dish requiring a technician come out to activate the Hopper? As I mentioned in my initial post, it's not so much about the money as it is having to accept a 2 year agreement on my system since DishNetwork came out and touched my system. Also, can I assume that my existing VIP722K will see and work with the updated LNB/Node without having to reset and start from scratch?

Thanks again guys!
You can't have a 722 and a Hopper active on the same account.

boba: Thanks for the info. I probably should have been clearer about what I was trying to get across. What I meant to say is UNTIL I deactivate the 722 and then install/activate the Hopper, will my 722 be usable on the updated LNB and solo node to confirm satellite signal strength? Once that is done, then (and only then) will I deactivate the 722 and attempt to activate the Hopper.

boba: Thanks for the info. I probably should have been clearer about what I was trying to get across. What I meant to say is UNTIL I deactivate the 722 and then install/activate the Hopper, will my 722 be usable on the updated LNB and solo node to confirm satellite signal strength? Once that is done, then (and only then) will I deactivate the 722 and attempt to activate the Hopper.
Leave the system as is until you are ready to swap over.

Thanks everybody for all the help and info. 1 last (I promise for now) question:

I just crawled out on the roof to look over the current LNB I have. It has 3 receptors/whatever on it.
lnbinfo2.jpg

lnbinfo.jpg

If this is not compatible with the Hopper with Sling fine. I don't mind spending the money to get the correct one. I just don't want to order something I already "have", so to speak. In any event I will order the solo hub since Dish wants that in place for my Hopper.

So will my existing LNBF work? Or should I just order the Hybrid to be on the safe side?

Thanks again folks!

That is compatible, but you'll want a solo node, 2 lines into it from the LNB, Host line out to the Hopper, client out to any Joeys, using splitters if more than 1 Joey

I ordered a Hybrid LNBF and Hybrid Solo Hub since, ah, well, that is to say, 20 foot elevation + concrete surface below + butter fingers x gravity = a bad result for my LNBF. Please don't ask for details. :oops:

Now fortunately I was able to get next day shipping (Amazon Prime Sunday delivery ROCKS!) so I can replace the LNBF that fell to it's death. And I figured I would replace the outdoor coax with 3Ghz RG6 for good measure. Unfortunately, I can't find any of my terminators for the unused connections on the Hub. And their is not a single place within 50 miles of me that stock/sell any. I also missed the window with Amazon to get some here tomorrow.

So I will ask a (most likely) stupid question: How bad is it to run the system without terminators on the hub?

I have placed an order for some but they will not get here before Tuesday. And I REALLY wanted to get this over with before the weekend. And once the terminators get here, it's a 1 minute job to run into the basement and screw them on the hub.

I will probably chuckle about all of this in the future.
But not right now in the present. :oldno

Reactions: navychop
You'll be OK without the terminators for now. Half the lazy techs I follow up never put them on. And as for the ooops, been there done that/ Fun watching that back cover go flying, ehh?? Oh and yeah, I have a Sunday Prime delivery coming tomorrow, too. New iPad, micro USB and C-Style braided, cable packs I've been needing :)

Thanks for the confirmation on the terminators. And in retrospect, I probably should have just started out with the recommendations to get the Hybrid LBNF and Hybrid hub right from the start. Then again, it could have been the shiny new LBNF that got smashed.

After the incident with my existing one, believe you me, when the new LBNF goes in I am going to make DAMN sure my hold on it is good. :redface

Reactions: HipKat
Believe me, I did ponder it.

But in the end, the system is up, dish waived the tech coming out and my Hopper with Sling is running as of an hour ago. Final costs for the Hybrid LBNF, the Hybrid solo hub and the new cable was still notably less than what the service call would have been.

Still waiting for the program guide to finish populating so I can setup the scheduler for the programs we record.

Thanks everyone for the tips and info! Because of the help from this site, I threw out for the 1 year supporter paypal thing.

The smile is starting to form on my face...... :oldsmile2

Last edited:
To finalize the install, my terminators arrived and were promptly put on the hybrid solo and my USB tuner got hooked up.

Weird thing about the guide: The local channels showed up but with no information. I figured they would populate overnight but that was not the case when I turned on the unit. I did a search on this forum and found a post regarding this and followed the suggestion to turn off the Hopper and wait 15 minutes and bingo, their were my local channels with info. :clapping What's weird about this is.... why didn't it do it after the Hopper got turned off last night?

In any event, the only thing left "todo" is plug my external hard drive in and see if the hopper can read my recording from the 722. But that will be after work since I am heading out the door.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)