722's on Back-order!

treiher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Ordered a 722 upgrade two weeks ago. The first time they scheduled an install saying a service tech was rquired, but then they blew off the appointment. After that, they agreed to simply ship the 722 which was supposed to arrive last week, but still no show. So I called back today, and now they are telling me the 722 has been on backorder since 8/25 and they have no idea when they will be able to resume shipments again. CSR I spoke to was very apologetic and polite, but I was curiuos if anyone else is hearing this too.

I am supposed to have two of them installed tomorrow morning. The Dish computer voice confirmed at 5:00 PM that they were still coming. They were due last week but were postponed to tomorrow because of supply issue. I have my fingers crossed.

I was scheduled for an install last Saturday, 8/25/07. No one showed or called. I called and found it was rescheduled for Wednesday August 29(yesterday). I was told that it was canceled because of a shortage of 722s, I rescheduled for Saturday September 1st. I am in no rush anyhow. I have a 622 and this is a replacement for the 921.

I am supposed to have two of them installed tomorrow morning. The Dish computer voice confirmed at 5:00 PM that they were still coming. They were due last week but were postponed to tomorrow because of supply issue. I have my fingers crossed.

Hey jborchel . . . I got the same automated phone call, confirming the appointment, asking me to be home between 8am and noon, have space available behind the TV, etc. They never showed. When I called Dish later, they explained the appointment had been cancelled days before because of a "resource issue". I think the automated confirming phone call is just that, automated and happens no matter what. I think I have also learned if you want to know for sure something is going to happen, you have to call tech. support. Even though it is not a tech. support issue, they at least know what is going on. Customer service will just read what is on their computer screen.

Good luck! Still think there's a good chance they show, but you never know for sure.

I have a 722 install scheduled for today between noon and 5 (central). I got the backorder run around on my 811 when those were first introduced a few years ago. It took them about 2 or 3 months to sort that out.

Anyway I just called tech support (1-800-333-DISH and follow the prompts). I actually spoke to someone who seemed like she might actually live in the US. I wanted to know if I had been "rescheduled" due to a backorder on the 722's.

She said she has no information that would make her believe that I had been rescheduled - and that she had no reason to believe the units are backordered. She claims to have never heard that there were any 722 supply problems. Additionally (of course) she would not give me a number of the installer that I could call and see if he was actually coming or not.

So...I guess I take the gamble and take the afternoon off from work to go wait for the installer. My gut tells me that he won't show...and that I will not be getting a 722 today. Time will tell, but Dish does not have history on its side.

TimR><>
10 Years with Dish

Dish has been telling me since the 21st that I will be contacted by the local install guy just as soon as the hardware arrives. No telling when that will be....

During the first Gulf War, Sony donated thousands of Walkman players to the US military forces in theater. Of course, those never got out to the field to the personnel as was originally intended. The "good stuff" never makes it out the average Joe until all the "special people" get theirs first. Not that I would accuse any local install contract companies of having a priority list for distributing these newest of the new DVRs... ;)

My 722 install is set for Sat., I called the local installer and he had my order, he said he had 2 units left and that they were for todays work orders. He was supposed to have a number of 722s delivered yesterday but they didn't show. He said he would call me first thing Sat morning and tell me if it's a go or not.

I ordered a 722 on Monday, Aug. 27th, the product was shipped from Colorado on Tuesday, Aug. 28th, currently on a UPS truck in Illinois, and UPS indicates that the box should arrive in New Hampshire on Sept. 5th for self installation. Apparently, no problem if you don't use a local installer.

Its really a crap shoot,

Some dealers and DNS sites are stock piled with 622's. They want to get rid of them first before installing any 722's.

I believe this is what we are seeing here.

Its not that they are backordered (I just talked to a friend in the Atlanta warehouse and they got lots of them) its that your local install company wants to get rid of the inventory they have before bringing new products in.

I paid an extra $50 for a 722 in lieu of a 622. I called yesterday and ordered it thru the tech dept for a Sunday Sept 2 install. We shall see, but I will not accept a 622, since I paid for a 722.

Well. I have to apologize to the Dish Network. They not only kept the appointment today, but they arrived just after noon with the Dish 1000.2 and VIP722 receiver as promised. The installers did a great job, were friendly and courteous, and they even went up the ladder and installed the new dish in the rain!

I am very pleasantly surprised at how well all this went from my first phone call to order the receiver last Saturday (8/26) to the complete follow through and delivery of everything promised.

Does anyone have the link to the DishinItUp rebate coupon? It looks like it will have cost me $49 after the rebate - again as promised.

Amazing.

TimR><>

Well. I have to apologize to the Dish Network. They not only kept the appointment today, but they arrived just after noon with the Dish 1000.2 and VIP722 receiver as promised. The installers did a great job, were friendly and courteous, and they even went up the ladder and installed the new dish in the rain!

I am very pleasantly surprised at how well all this went from my first phone call to order the receiver last Saturday (8/26) to the complete follow through and delivery of everything promised.

Does anyone have the link to the DishinItUp rebate coupon? It looks like it will have cost me $49 after the rebate - again as promised.

Amazing.

TimR><>

DISH Network -- What's on DISH -- Promotion

Its really a crap shoot,
Its not that they are backordered (I just talked to a friend in the Atlanta warehouse and they got lots of them) its that your local install company wants to get rid of the inventory they have before bringing new products in.

That makes sense, but the I am not going through a local install company. They agreed to ship the unit to me directly and let me do the install myself. It was Dish tech. support that told me the units are backordered, not an installer, so who knows what to believe. To be fair, they have offered some compensation for the delay and have been very apologetic (once I got to the right people) and I didn't even ask for that. So I have to give them credit. But I do feel sometimes that when I call for an update, they simply spin the wheel and give me whatever answer it lands on. Really wish they could work on that from the consumer service end.

I paid extra for 722. The installer showed up with no 722 and tried to install 622 saying it "was almost the same". Sent them away. CSR said I need to reschedule.:confused:

I paid extra for 722. The installer showed up with no 722 and tried to install 622 saying it "was almost the same". Sent them away. CSR said I need to reschedule.:confused:

This is good to know. I will check to make sure it is a 722 immediately after the installer arrives on Saturday.

I ended up cancelling the upgrade because it'd be another week to reschedule.

The CSR said I wouldn't get a full refund and would be charged $99 for the service call(where they came out unprepared).

After many more calls, I got someone reasonable who refunded the full fee for the 722 upgrade,which was not delivered.

The only reason I was doing pro-install is because I have Dish500 still. Is it better to buy the Dish1000 on your own? Aren't they $89 though? Maybe I should switch? Has D* fixed their supposed HD quality problems?