771 issues on two different recievers on Some hd channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JamesJ

AKA Stuart628
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
Akron (Cleveland), Oh
Alright, I havetwo hd dvr's (hr21 I believe, and a r15 that has hd added to it) giving me fits, the HR21 wont get hd local stations, and the r 15 wont get random hd channels (mlb hd is one i know for sure) it always goes to 771 searching for signal..I have replaced the bbc's on them and also have verified that rg 6 is run from the switches all the way out to the recievers. My question is this, I have two zinwell wb68 one is daisy chained and I wondering could that be causing the problem? I have asked to have a swm installed everytime and the installer said that daisy chaining them like that could cause problems but it should be fine....well I am thinking thats where my 771 issues are coming in, anyone else agree? ideas?

Edit: we also have 1 other hd dvr and 1 other hd box that have no issues, total we have 10 tuners active at this house.

There is no way to receive HD on a R15, which will only receive MPEG2 SD channels. Could it be a R22 (which can receive HD if it is on your account)?

Daising chaining a multiswitch may cause problems. A better approach is to use splitters to feed the four dish outputs to each multiswitch input (WB68 or SWM8). Not being able to receive some of the channels is a symptom of low switching voltage (13/18v).

I suspect that the problem receivers are connected to the second WB68 in the daisy chain. As a test, connect the receivers to the first WB68.

If that fixes the problem, then use the splitter method as described to connect the two WB68s to the dish.

There is no way to receive HD on a R15, which will only receive MPEG2 SD channels. Could it be a R22 (which can receive HD if it is on your account)?

Daising chaining a multiswitch may cause problems. A better approach is to use splitters to feed the four dish outputs to each multiswitch input (WB68 or SWM8). Not being able to receive some of the channels is a symptom of low switching voltage (13/18v).

r22, dont know why I said r15, thanks!

Thanks guys, I am going with you guys on this one, and I might call directv and tell them that I would like a swm installed (it was suppose to be installed the last two times, but every time the installer determines its not cost efficent for him, especially since I already ran two lines to each room)

One thing to keep in mind is that the SWM setup can only handle 8 tuners. If you do go with SWM, don't use the SWM LNB, but the SWM8 module(s). You still need the splitters for two SWM8s.

Stacking (daisy chaining) two WB68s is incorrect, even the manufacturer says not to do this. Because they are unpowered, you will often have problems with not enough power passing through the two multiswitches from the receiver to the LNB, as Bob posted. You are supposed to use four wideband power-passing splitters on the lines from the dish and drive the two WB68s in parallel. Works fine.
To use SWM you would need two SWM8s connected in parallel in the same way I describe for the two WB68s, or an SWM16 (just appearing on the market). DirecTV isn't going to install those for you because you have a perfectly good setup if you connect the WB68s correctly.

yeah I would just like the system to work fine, I am calling them tommorow if I get a moment....funny thing is the reciever was working today and getting the HD channels just fine...I am guessing on heavy days (thursday night as we record alot of shows) it bugs out...the reciever in the bedroom (r22) has never gotten mlbhd but disneyhd is on and off.

The correct switching voltages can get through if several receivers happen to be tuned to channels requiring the same polarity. This is why is works part time.

The correct switching voltages can get through if several receivers happen to be tuned to channels requiring the same polarity. This is why is works part time.

thats what I was thinking as well, because on thursday nights its always the same channels that dont record, but then on friday the channels work fine....anyways the directv tech will be at my house saturday! Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Tech just left, had two guys...really nice guys replaced the eye on my satellite, re peeked my sat. signal, ran three new cables, cascaded the multi switches properly, and now my signal is pretty much perfect...will wait till thursday night but it looks like we have it worked out.

Stacking (daisy chaining) two WB68s is incorrect, even the manufacturer says not to do this. Because they are unpowered, you will often have problems with not enough power passing through the two multiswitches from the receiver to the LNB, as Bob posted. You are supposed to use four wideband power-passing splitters on the lines from the dish and drive the two WB68s in parallel. Works fine.
To use SWM you would need two SWM8s connected in parallel in the same way I describe for the two WB68s, or an SWM16 (just appearing on the market). DirecTV isn't going to install those for you because you have a perfectly good setup if you connect the WB68s correctly.

pending on the type of tuners you have ...you might be able to get by with the swm 8 ... it will do 11 tuners total ... 3 non hd legacy ... & 8 hd or swm compatible tuners

well the tech was back out again today to replace a box, went to record Big Bang theory and went to watch it and it was nothing but a mess of digital noise, so it could have been a bad hard drive on that box, we will see if that fixes it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)