8 ports on multiswitch..need 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tdbohannon

Original poster
Apr 18, 2005
How do I go about this? With adding the HR20, I have 3 DVR (6 total feeds) and 3 single tuner boxes but my switch in the attic only have 8 outputs. What to do?
Thanks in advance

Your two options are 1) cascading multiswitches or 2) splitting the LNB output before it goes to the switch.

Personally, I prefer the splitter route.

To cascade multiswitches you take four lines from your first multiswitch and connect them to the input of the second one. So you end up with 12 outputs. Alternatively if you use power-passing splitters to split the lines from the dish you can connect two eight-way multiswitches to give you 16 outputs.
Did DirecTV give you the correct multiswitch for the HR20, you need the Zinwell WB68? The old multiswitches will not work properly with MPEG-4 when all the satellites come on line...

Also, ensure you are using the correct splitters (5-3000 MHz). I currently have 16 connections (2 WB68s), and I was faced with the same dilemma as you were. I just finally connected all my coax connections in the house so I don't have to worry about connections any longer. Finally, ensure that your voltages correspond to the correct voltages on the WB68 (located on the top) when splitting.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Since there is already a multiswitch in the dish you don't have to worry about the voltages. All you need is to make sure that the two outputs from any splitter go to the same input ports on both WB68s, but it does not matter which one.

BTW,

Zinwell now has the WB616 available via their website again. This time it looks as though it has been approved by D*tv. This will solve your problem, the last e-mail I received a couple of months ago from Zinwell the cost was $179.00.

Locate here: http://www.zcwc.com/zcwc/products/multi_switch/wb_616.htm

Texasbrit,

You very well maybe correct, but that was my personal experience, while running two WB68s and splitters.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
texasbrit said:
To cascade multiswitches you take four lines from your first multiswitch and connect them to the input of the second one. So you end up with 12 outputs. Alternatively if you use power-passing splitters to split the lines from the dish you can connect two eight-way multiswitches to give you 16 outputs.
Did DirecTV give you the correct multiswitch for the HR20, you need the Zinwell WB68? The old multiswitches will not work properly with MPEG-4 when all the satellites come on line...

The switch I'm referring to was the one they put in with the 5 lnb dish a few months back when I switched over to MPEG-4 so I assume it's the right one. I'm going to climb up there tomorrow and look at it more closely. Sounds like cascading may be the easiest way to go. Where would I buy one of these switches? Is this something Radio Shack or Fry's would have?

Azeke - so maybe this switch is available at last! Good (although expensive) solution for someone putting in a new installation, but an overkill for someone just looking for a few extra lines for an existing installation.
Which splitters were you using for your "failed" dual WB68 installation?

texasbrit said:
Azeke - so maybe this switch is available at last! Good (although expensive) solution for someone putting in a new installation, but an overkill for someone just looking for a few extra lines for an existing installation.
Which splitters were you using for your "failed" dual WB68 installation?

Texasbrit,

The new switch is around $179.00 and it is more expensive than the WB68 ($79.00) but multiply that by two, and now you have ~ $158.00. I just wonder if with the 4 splitters and two WB68s, am I experiencing any signal degradation.

I am currently using four 5-3000 MHz splitters, the original installer was young and I had to correct a few of his mistakes, after he left.

I have an installer coming on Wednesday to install the HR-20 700, but before he comes I will call the company (Mastec) to see if this switch is available for my install, which I requested on my work order with Direct.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Azeke said:
I just wonder if with the 4 splitters and two WB68s, am I experiencing any signal degradation.

Azeke

Yes, moreso than without the splitters and a 616, the question is not if you are getting additional degradation from the splitters, because you are, the question is, is the degradation bad enough (i.e. excessive rain fade events, pixelation/dropouts) to warrant a removal of the splitters (and a move to the 616).

Last edited:
You would need to know the insertion loss of each of the multiswitches and the splitters (the splitters will be 3.5db) to see what the difference is. Alternatively check the signal "strength" both with and without the splitters included.

There are lots of posts about both successes and failures with WB68s. One issue is that the WB68 is unpowered (I believe the WB616 is a powered multiswitch).
In general the situation seems to be:
Zinwell say that the WB68 is not stackable but there are several reports that it is. Some people have reported problems stacking WB68s with each other. I have seen nothing but positive reports about stacking the WB68 with an older, powered multiswitch. So:
The WB68 seems to be stackable so long as it is the first multiswitch connected to the dish (it has to be, otherwise you won't get the MPEG-4 channels) and the second multiswitch is powered.
The WB68 may or may not be stackable with another WB68 depending it seems on your particular installation (possibly the length of cable runs)
The WB68 seems to be OK when two of them are driven by the correct splitters.
You need 4 2.5+ghz splitters with power-passing on both sides.

If you are doing a new installation or upgrading an installation where you don't want to retain diplexing on the non-MPEG-4 side of your system, use a WB616, particularly if you can get DirecTV to install it free!

In all of this I am assuming there are no problems with the 616 multiplexer - I have yet to see any reports from people who have them.

Thank you both for your insight, btw the WB616 is powered. I believe that was one of the changes from the original design. Since the 616 has been approved by Direct, I will hopefully be able to ensure that Mastec (Installer) has one prior to installation.

On a separate note, it certainly would be interesting to test the signal strength before and after the 616 install. If it is possible, I will try to post the results here.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Status
Please reply by conversation.

First problem with HR 20

HR-700 Mystery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)