811 & 2nd ant. for CBS-HD

netminder32

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
I spoke to a rep today....I asked about getting CBS-HD (Los Angeles), which I do qualify for...however, they told me the have to install the second antenna.

I have installed everything thus far, isn't this extra dish something I would be able to install myself?

Thanks in advance,
Rex

netminder32 said:
I spoke to a rep today....I asked about getting CBS-HD (Los Angeles), which I do qualify for...however, they told me the have to install the second antenna.

I have installed everything thus far, isn't this extra dish something I would be able to install myself?

Thanks in advance,
Rex
yup not hard but we need to know what dish and switch you have now. Basically you need another dish either a 300 or 500 with preferably a single LNB and that is of the same type of LNB you have now either legacy or dishpro and then possibly another switch to cascade the whole thing, anyway more info please.

Yes, If you have installed everything else you can do this as well. I don't know if CBS-HD LA is on 148 or 61.5 though.

Thanks for the quick replies!

I currently have a DishPro dish with two recievers....the 811
will be my 3rd reciever.

Rex

Thanks....

I have to say there is a lot of great info
and help on this forum.

So far, it looks like I will need a second
dish pointed at 148 degrees. However,
I believe there is a switch needed....
anyone know the best place to get these
items?

Thanks again,
Rex

you need a dish 300 and dp34 switch.

you can get equipment at www.dishstore.net

BUT if you have additional locals at 148 dish has to install the dish for you free of charge so find out about that, chances are you do.

Thanks for all the info....

I called them up...I am going to go
ahead and have it installed.

I will be interested to see how long it
takes to get the other networks
via our sat provider....sooon I hope :rolleyes:

Thanks again....

Rex

The cheapest way is to let Dish install it.
If you are in the L.A. Market it is free.

I had a subcontracted guy come out... and he messed up the install..

He pointed the 148 dish into the back of the 100-119 dish :confused:
all he had to do was put the 148 dish on the west side of the 110-119 dish

Once I moved it, the signal jumped from 70 to over 90!

He also didn't ground the DP34 :no

I would have preffered to install myself AND be there when it happened,
but at least I was able to rectify the situation in less than an hour.

Anyways.. the only thing you will get is CBS-HD and the pentagon channel,
and I think some lame station from 29 palms

But hopefully they will be adding more HD to 148 or 61.5, and we will already have the 2nd dish in place

Cokeswigga said:
He also didn't ground the DP34...

Anyways.. the only thing you will get is CBS-HD and the pentagon channel,
and I think some lame station from 29 palms.
For some reason the DP34 doesn't qualify as a proper ground point (unlike the other switches) so the DNS guys have been instructed not to do it. If you have your cables going through ground blocks you're OK and even if you don't it's not worth worrying about.

That 29 Palms station has some interesting sports events from time-to-time including Canadian football when it's in season. There's a couple of Spanish stations, too.

And in addition to The Pentagon Channel there are a few more PA channels including the wonderful new Holistic Channel. (Pretty much Yoga & breathing exercises 24x7.)

Oh, and they still have HBO-HD & SHO-HD up on 148, presumably for the convenience of people in Alaska & Hawaii. So you'll see those twice in the guide on different Ch nos.

I just thought that since, it had a slot for a ground wire, and the switch was right next to the existing ground wire, I should have been easy enough to run the ground wire through.. and thats what I did.

On the 148 dish.. he did not even install a grounding block for th rg-6 but he did connect the groung from 148 to 110-119 dish

For some reason the DP34 doesn't qualify as a proper ground point ...
More stupidity from some local DNSC hack.

A DP34 will perfectly fine to use as "the ground block" - IF it's in the right place (building entry). It's NOT appropriate if it's hung on the back of a StupiDish.

And therein lies where DNSC got StupiD. ;) They can't tell the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts