811 and 4:3 analog TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I just bought an analog 32" 4:3 TV, the Sharp 32C540, and have it hooked up to my 811. We just sold our HD set. What setting do I use in the 811's menu, 480p? I'm using S-video from the 811 to the TV. Also, what is the difference between 4:3(#1) and 4:3(#2) in the 811's aspect ratio menu? The manual doesn't tell you. Thanks.

None of those setting will make any difference with the s-video connection. Those are only for the component/DVI connections.

I noticed that that particular set does have component inputs, but no indication that it is an EDTV type set (ED implies 480P). Your 811 will not benefit from that input (I'm not aware of the 811 having 480i output from its component output) but you COULD use the component inputs for a non progressive DVD player (or a progressive DVD player with progressive turned off).

Thanks guys. Now I understand why I couldn't use my 811 with component into my TV. The picture was all distorted. What about my second question, which aspect ratio to choose from the 811's menu. What's the difference between 4:3(#1) and 4:3(#2)? Thanks.

The aspect ratio settings are for HD sets only.
Some 4x3 sets automatically 'squeeze' HD signals down to letterbox - This set would use 4x3 #1
Some sets need the STB to squeeze the HD channels down to letterrbox, this is 4x3 #2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)