811 and 522 on HP L2335 LCD monitor? doable?

misanthrope

Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
Hey all!!

I'm about to sign up for dish service. But I want to make sure I understand the setup before I make the plunge. I'm going to use an HP L2335 LCD monitor as my TV (I hope). It has a DVI input and supports 480I, 480p, 720p and 1080i resolutions. I"m planning on using a DVI switcher to use it as a computer monitor (mac) and TV.
I was considering getting a 522 and 811, but dish people told me it was not recommended to connect both to the same TV but could be done... ?? After reading the forums here, it doesn't seem so wise to buy a 921 dvr/ receiver, so this would be my only option to watch Hd and have a DVR, right? Somewhere down the line I will obtain an all in one unit, I guess...

My plan is to watch HD broadcasts when I can, and record the same shows in SD since I don't have an HD DVR. And, of course I"ll watch/ record SD programming when not available in HD.

Do the two boxes work together or are they completely separate? I see that the 811 is a HD and SD tuner/ receiver, will the 522 just act as a recorder regardless whether I"m watching HD or SD?

I hope I am being clear enough. Greatful thanks in advance!

Our two HD TVs are connected to a 522 and two 811's. The boxes work independently of each other. We just coordinate them thru each TV's inputs (811's DVI and 522's S-Video on TV1 and 811's DVI and 522's RF on TV2).

ok

so, I would need to connect the 811 to my DVI input and put the 522 on the s-video or composite input on my monitor. For the DVR I"ll have to set it up independantly of the HD box. And if I want to watch HD I'll switch to the DVI input and watch Hd while my 522 is recording the same show in SD.

Have I understood you correctly?

by the way, thanks for the reply!!

Yes. We watch HD on both TV's with the 811's thru the DVI inputs while we record one or two shows in SD at the same time on the 522 thru the S-Video on TV1 and RF on TV2.

Humble Pie

AMC 15 on the move

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)