811 and Wavy Lines

bkos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
I have an 811 with the latest s/w update hooked to a Toshiba Theaterview 1080i HD-ready rear projection television via the component inputs. Ever since I got the 811, I've noticed some lines appear wavy when watching any HD programming whether it be a sailboat mast on DiscoveryHD or a basketball court on ESPN (on the rare occassion they show HD). It becomes very noticable when the camera or the subject is moving.

I noticed a similar problem like this with the 6000 when it was upconverting a 720p program to 1080i for my TV. The fix then was to use the "Adjust" capability in the HD Setup screen. Doing this on the 811 does not seem to have any effect and I notice the problem no matter which format (1080i or 720p) a program is being broadcast in.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Got any tips on how to clear it up?

Thanks!

My 811 generates faint vertical lines across the entire width of my Toshiba 46H83 from both DVI and component cables... but no "wavies", just faint "jail bars". :mad:

I don't know if our issues are related :confused: .

I'm still suffering through the wavy lines. I actually called Dish after hooking my 6000u back up and noticed a better picture. They, of course, have no clue what I am talking about but did send a note to the technical team not that that will do me any good. BTW, my TV is a Toshiba Theaterview TZ55X71.

I took a couple of pictures of the Master's tournament to illustrate what I'm am experiancing. These pics were taken using an old 1 megapixal camera so the quality isn't that great but you can get an idea of what I am seeing by looking at the club in each picture.

Chuck...I do think that these issues are related.

Attachments

• 811.jpg
    811.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 371
  • 6000u.jpg
    6000u.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 344
bkos said:
I'm still suffering through the wavy lines.

I took a couple of pictures of the Master's tournament to illustrate what I'm am experiancing. These pics were taken using an old 1 megapixal camera so the quality isn't that great but you can get an idea of what I am seeing by looking at the club in each picture.
After looking at your pictures it is quite apparent that you do have a problem.
I wish I could have an answer.
My guess is that if you can not resolve this with the various adjustments available on the 811 and/or you TV, then perhaps the 811 is defective.
I have never had anything similar with my 811 and my 32inch Toshiba tube HDTV. I did have one problem once where I tried to move the picture to be better centered on the TV and all hell broke loose until I returned to the factory settings.
It's times like these when it would be nice to have a friend with a similar product that could be substituted to see what would happen with a different, know good unit.
In essence you have almost done this by putting in the 6000 but would be even better if you could take the 811 to a friends house and try it there.
My guess is that if you can't adjust it to eliminate the problem then the 811 will probably have to be replaced.
Good luck.............

bkos said:
I'm still suffering through the wavy lines. I actually called Dish after hooking my 6000u back up and noticed a better picture. They, of course, have no clue what I am talking about but did send a note to the technical team not that that will do me any good. BTW, my TV is a Toshiba Theaterview TZ55X71.

AHHH, do you mean the "jaggies"? I saw those during the NCAA games on CBS HD. Funny thing is my buddy (using a HD Cable service) had the same issue as me... jaggies on the white border around the court. We both have Toshiba sets, his is an older TW40H80 and mine is a new 46H83.

As for the jail bars, I can't figure out the cause, but I will try switching to 720P and look for a change.

What I see is Edge enhancement from the broadcast inducing the ringing shadow. Make sure your SVM is disabled. Some Toshibas have an off switch other have to be mechanically disabled. http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brandspecific/toshiba/generaltweaks/generaltweaks.html

The stepping of the shaft is due to poor 3:2 pulldown.. Now the picture does not look HD either. Not all the cameras used were.

Those that are seeing horizontal lines probaly need to turn down the contrast/brightness. Using a HT set up disk like AVIA/ DVE or Sound and Vision to properly set contrastbrightness and color levels among others.

If the this does not clear it up the last possibilitie that comes to mind is poor shielding on either a speaker or a cble.

I assumed the "jaggies" was the inferiority of the scaler in the 811. When I set my Dish 811 to output 720p, which is my tv's native resolution, I get the jaggies (unless the station is broadcast in 720p, like ESPN-HD, ABC, etc.). When I set my output to 1080i (for 1080i stations), the jaggies are gone. I believe this is because the Tv has better scaling than the Dish 811.

Also keep in mind a lot of the fairway cameras that CBS was using were not HD cameras, but upconverted 480i cameras. It was pretty obvious which were which while watching.

Thanks for the replies. I could tell the difference between the HD cameras and the non-HD cameras at the tournament. The problem is there when an actual HD camera in use. This is also evident when watching basketball and seeing the referee's uniform with the jagglies/wavy lines. Can't be a cable issue since when I change between the 811 and 6000, the picture through 6000 looks fine. A while ago, I used the adjust feature to move the screen more to center as the Grandude did. So, tonight, I reset the 811 back to it's factory settings and it looked better I think. I'll find a good sporting event to see if it really fixed the issue. And I'll look for that SVM setting to disable it. Thanks again!

bkos said:
Thanks for the replies. I could tell the difference between the HD cameras and the non-HD cameras at the tournament. The problem is there when an actual HD camera in use. This is also evident when watching basketball and seeing the referee's uniform with the jagglies/wavy lines. Can't be a cable issue since when I change between the 811 and 6000, the picture through 6000 looks fine. A while ago, I used the adjust feature to move the screen more to center as the Grandude did. So, tonight, I reset the 811 back to it's factory settings and it looked better I think. I'll find a good sporting event to see if it really fixed the issue. And I'll look for that SVM setting to disable it. Thanks again!
Make sure your STB is set for 1080i. You may be expereincing a double conversion. 1080i to 720p to 540p to 1080i

Thanks for the help Kevin!

The STP (811) is set to 1080i and to 4x3 #2 so I can almost see the full 16x9 screen with back bars at the top and bottom when watching HD content. I wonder if there is a way to ensure that the TV is set to 1080i...I can't find any way to change the setting in the normal TV menus nor have I been able to find a way to check it in the Designer or Service menus.

I have the Indy Jones box set with a THX setup option that I'll use tonight to make sure the contrast and brightness are set properly. I'm sure that it's not as good as the Avia disk but it's what I have on hand. And I'm going to tackle the SVM issue tonight if I can figure out the instructions posted on Keohi.

bkos said:
The STP (811) is set to 1080i and to 4x3 #2 so I can almost see the full 16x9 screen with back bars at the top and bottom when watching HD content. .

On my Panny 4x3 I must use the 16x9 setting on the 811 or I see the jaggies.

bkos said:

This is the same problem I am having with my 811. My mitsu ota daigital tuner was much better looking and not so "Bright" I checked settings on both inputs and all display settings are the same. The 811 was so bright it pretty washed out. washed alot of the clarity out.

I turned off the SVM settings according to the Keohi web site instructions and watched Ice Age on HBO last night. It looked great. I still need to use the THX setup disk but at least one step made an improvement. I did switch the 811 to the 16x9 setting but I could not see the entire "wide" picture when doing that so I switched it back to the 4x3 #2. Plus I saw no change in the picture quality of what was viewable.

On Sunday, I sent the same text as the 4th post above to ceo@echostar.com with the photos as attachments but I have not heard back from them. I thought they responded from that email address within two days. Oh well. Must be overwhelmed by Turner questions.

cswrench said:

This is the same problem I am having with my 811. My mitsu ota daigital tuner was much better looking and not so "Bright" I checked settings on both inputs and all display settings are the same. The 811 was so bright it pretty washed out. washed alot of the clarity out.

Try redoing your settings. Each tuner is different. Chances are you have had your settings pretty high with the Mitsubishi STB. You can lower the contrast and brightness now and save some life on the CRT's. Grab a HT set up disk or find a THX set up on a DVD and transfer the settings to your HD output.

bkos said:
I turned off the SVM settings according to the Keohi web site instructions and watched Ice Age on HBO last night. It looked great. I still need to use the THX setup disk but at least one step made an improvement. I did switch the 811 to the 16x9 setting but I could not see the entire "wide" picture when doing that so I switched it back to the 4x3 #2. Plus I saw no change in the picture quality of what was viewable.

On Sunday, I sent the same text as the 4th post above to ceo@echostar.com with the photos as attachments but I have not heard back from them. I thought they responded from that email address within two days. Oh well. Must be overwhelmed by Turner questions.

You can blame HDTV Rookie for that :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)