811 cables ?

Nitehawk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
California
Forgive me if this has been asked before.I searched the forum and didn't see anything that jumped out.I'm going to take the plunge into HD and want to make sure I will be getting the right accessories for the 811.I was told that I will need a Monster Cable HDMI to DVI Cable (HDMI400/DVI-2M) for my new HDTV.Are there ports for that cable on the 811? Also I have priced this cable at a few big retailers.They want like $125 for it.That seems a bit much.Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nitehawk

The 811 has a DVI-D port, as well as component (YPrPb) ports for HD. The component cables come in the box, the DVI cable doesn't. I personally didn't bother with the Monster DVI cable. I got a 6' DVI cable from Sam's Club for $15. Works fine for me. If you have a HDMI port on your set, then you'll need a DVI/HDMI adapter, probably about $15 too. Here's a link to some adapters:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&style=

You might just try the component cables first.

Go to Amazon or PartsExpress, check out the Dayton Audio HDMI-DVI cable. 2M is $18, 3M is $22. Quality is equal to the Monster cable. They have been making good quality cables for years. Their HDMI & DVI cables have been tested to stringent standards and are certified to meet industry standards.

Just make sure you get a DVI-D to HDMI cable, not a DVI-I to HDMI.

I'm pretty sure the Dayton DVI cables are DVI-D, but am not 100% positive.

ramelectronics

Check out the hdmi-dvi cables at ramelectronics. You can google their website.

They have reasonable prices and since the signal is digital, the monster cable markup isn't going to buy you anything.

Re:

Alright cool, now I can check out the links you guys gave out.Thanks for the info.This should save a lot of money and time.

Nitehawk

The monoprice cables with the ferrites work very well. If they're visible, you can opt for the net jacket which dresses them up a bit.

These are the inexpensive cables I recommend.

Best,

trumpie said:
I wouldn't bother with the DVI output. I bought Monster DVI cable for my 811.
The picture looks wahed out. I get a better lookig picture with just an s-video cable
For SD material maybe. But not for HD. S-video doesn't do HD.

SatinKzo how did your 811 come with a DVI cable? Mine only came with a component and the regular audio - video cables. Trumpie, why did you buy a 811 and not use the DVI or the component output and just use S-video. Doesn't make much sense????

I've compared the Monoprice $7 DVI-HDMI 10' cable to a $150 Monster and there was no difference. The Monoprice wasn't built quite as well as the Monster (or even the Dayton Audio) but it worked perfectly.

BrettTRay said:
SatinKzo how did your 811 come with a DVI cable? Mine only came with a component and the regular audio - video cables. Trumpie, why did you buy a 811 and not use the DVI or the component output and just use S-video. Doesn't make much sense????

I don't know why mine came with a DVI cable, it just did. I opened the box and there it was. Maybe it was a refurb or something from dish and someone packed up a DVI cable by accident.

I received the following cables with my 811:

1 DVI Cable
1 Component Cable
1 RCA cable
25ft phone cord
1 6ft Coax

I bought my 921 off ebay and it came with a DVI cable too. Not sure if the seller included his or if his 921 came with DVI. He listed on his ebay listing too, so it seemed to me that it came with it.

Nitehawk said:
Forgive me if this has been asked before.I searched the forum and didn't see anything that jumped out.I'm going to take the plunge into HD and want to make sure I will be getting the right accessories for the 811.I was told that I will need a Monster Cable HDMI to DVI Cable (HDMI400/DVI-2M) for my new HDTV.Are there ports for that cable on the 811? Also I have priced this cable at a few big retailers.They want like $125 for it.That seems a bit much.Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nitehawk
Don't waste your money on Monster Cables unless you've got $20k invested in your theatre, you won't notice the difference.

trumpie said:
sd or hd my 811 looks bad with dvi
Are you sure you have your resolution on the 811 set to your native of the TV? Sounds like the TV is downrezing 1080i to 720p. My Sony 46" RPTV is native 1080i and if I output 720p from the 811 it's kinda fuzzy, but 1080i through DVI is crystal clear and vivid.

Many people have reported comparing the 811's DVI output to its component output and found component better. I've seen it on one TV where the component was much better, with the DVI image looking more washed out. It doesn't seem to be true in all cases.

Also the SD channels are better via component than DVI. They are better via s-video than DVI too.

Even if the only component cables you have are the ones supplied by Dish, you should connect them and compare to the DVI connection.

Re:

Lot's of good info here.I got a Sony 34" FD Trinitron® Widescreen HDTV Monitor.It will be deliverd Sunday.I have been shopping around for accesories and the cables were the first thing I needed to know about.I'm new to hd tv.And wanted to make sure to get the right hook ups for the 811 and tv.I went with the DAYTON HDDV-2M HDMI TO DVI CABLE 2m.I'll try both componet and this one and see which is better.I also bought a Jensen amplified hdtv antenna for locals.Will see what happens.Thanks for all the input.

Nitehawk

Guys,
You may want to check out this source for every kind of cable or adaptor you may need at the lowest price I have ever seen. For example, I just bought 3' RG6 cables in white with moulded connectors for 62 cents each! I have no interest in their business; I just was so impressed with their prices that I wanted to share this source with other forum members. :yes

https://www.cablesforless.com/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)