811 Component and DVI

cabledave

cabledave

Thread Starter
Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 28, 2004
295
0
Can you use the DVI and the Component outputs of the 811 at the same time? Plan to use an 811 to feed a TV in our den and the adjacent gym from one receiver as we won't ever use both monitors at the same time.
 
C

caesar gdi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 3, 2004
206
0
yes you can. all ports are hot at the same time
 
V

viqventeur

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 1, 2004
47
0
San Diego
If you are hooked into the DVI port, the component port is deactive. So, you would have to unplug the one while watching the the other. You could use the RCA to send SD to the other TV.
 
V

viqventeur

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 1, 2004
47
0
San Diego
Caesar may be correct. Although the manual says that using one deactivates the other, I read that others have tried both and they work at the same time. I have not tried it, so you may want to experiment.
 
mdonnelly

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
8,117
2,865
Mustang, OK
viqventeur said:
If you are hooked into the DVI port, the component port is deactive. So, you would have to unplug the one while watching the the other. ...
That's what the manual says, but my 811 outputs both DVI and component at the same time.
 
V

viqventeur

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 1, 2004
47
0
San Diego
mdonnelly, Do you have the DVI connected to your Sony and component connected to your Philips? And do you have both TVs on at the same time? I was just wondering if both hookups are used and one device is on and the other not, it just uses the port that is active. Thanks.
 
mdonnelly

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
8,117
2,865
Mustang, OK
viqventeur said:
mdonnelly, Do you have the DVI connected to your Sony and component connected to your Philips? And do you have both TVs on at the same time? I was just wondering if both hookups are used and one device is on and the other not, it just uses the port that is active. Thanks.
No, both are connected to the Sony. I switch video on the TV from Video 5 to Video 7, and it's HD on both. The 811 doesn't have a clue which TV input I'm using.

I don't use it on the other TV, because I don't know where to get DVI or component cables long enough to reach from the TV room to the bedroom.

The only reason I have two cables on one TV is because I wanted to see if there was a picture quality difference between the two, and I got a good price on a DVI cable at Sam's Club.
 
R

rocatman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 28, 2003
1,051
8
mdonnelly said:
No, both are connected to the Sony. I switch video on the TV from Video 5 to Video 7, and it's HD on both. The 811 doesn't have a clue which TV input I'm using.

I don't use it on the other TV, because I don't know where to get DVI or component cables long enough to reach from the TV room to the bedroom.

The only reason I have two cables on one TV is because I wanted to see if there was a picture quality difference between the two, and I got a good price on a DVI cable at Sam's Club.

I also can confirm that the 811 provide output to DVI and component simultaneously. By the way if you are looking for long component cables try one of these two vendors:

http://www.trianglecables.com/component-video-audio-cables.html

http://www.pacificcable.com/VideoAndAudio.htm#Python_Component_Cables


You can buy component cables that also include two additional cables for audio. They also may have long DVI cables but the longest I have found are 5 meters (about 16 feet) but you would still have to worry about audio. If you need a long TosLink Cable try this site:

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?d=1&pn=C45591&s=5

I bought the 15 foot one from them and it is a high quality TosLink cable. If your interested, I also have some websites for TosLink connectors, (to connect two cables together) TosLink splitters and also TosLink to Digital Audio Coax converters. You can definitely get long Digital Audio Coax cables.
 
Carl B

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
920
0
Arvada, CO
DVI cables over 5 meters go into fiber optic and are very expensive. Pacific Cable offers them if money is no object.

I alternate my Sammy DLP between DVI and component from my 811, but I have no way of knowing if I could actually produce a picture on a TV from both at the same time. That may be what the manual was trying to say.
 
mdonnelly

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
8,117
2,865
Mustang, OK
Carl B said:
DVI cables over 5 meters go into fiber optic and are very expensive. Pacific Cable offers them if money is no object.

I alternate my Sammy DLP between DVI and component from my 811, but I have no way of knowing if I could actually produce a picture on a TV from both at the same time. That may be what the manual was trying to say.
Actually, I've done that. Using PIP on my Sony, I was able to put up Video 5 (component) on one side of the screen, and Video 7 (DVI) on the other side, simultaneously.
 
cabledave

cabledave

Thread Starter
Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 28, 2004
295
0
Thanks everybody for your guidence. Didn't want to prewire and then have a surprise.
 
Carl B

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
920
0
Arvada, CO
Most DVI switchers have an amplifier that gives you a bit more cable range.
 

Similar threads

J
Replies
20
Views
3K
skidog
S
mike1973
Replies
3
Views
1K
OdiOdin
O
R
Replies
9
Views
4K
Broadband Lab Rat
B
R
Replies
1
Views
1K
markdl
M

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Top