811 Component and DVI

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cabledave

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 28, 2004
Can you use the DVI and the Component outputs of the 811 at the same time? Plan to use an 811 to feed a TV in our den and the adjacent gym from one receiver as we won't ever use both monitors at the same time.

If you are hooked into the DVI port, the component port is deactive. So, you would have to unplug the one while watching the the other. You could use the RCA to send SD to the other TV.

Caesar may be correct. Although the manual says that using one deactivates the other, I read that others have tried both and they work at the same time. I have not tried it, so you may want to experiment.

viqventeur said:
If you are hooked into the DVI port, the component port is deactive. So, you would have to unplug the one while watching the the other. ...
That's what the manual says, but my 811 outputs both DVI and component at the same time.

mdonnelly, Do you have the DVI connected to your Sony and component connected to your Philips? And do you have both TVs on at the same time? I was just wondering if both hookups are used and one device is on and the other not, it just uses the port that is active. Thanks.

viqventeur said:
mdonnelly, Do you have the DVI connected to your Sony and component connected to your Philips? And do you have both TVs on at the same time? I was just wondering if both hookups are used and one device is on and the other not, it just uses the port that is active. Thanks.
No, both are connected to the Sony. I switch video on the TV from Video 5 to Video 7, and it's HD on both. The 811 doesn't have a clue which TV input I'm using.

I don't use it on the other TV, because I don't know where to get DVI or component cables long enough to reach from the TV room to the bedroom.

The only reason I have two cables on one TV is because I wanted to see if there was a picture quality difference between the two, and I got a good price on a DVI cable at Sam's Club.

mdonnelly said:
No, both are connected to the Sony. I switch video on the TV from Video 5 to Video 7, and it's HD on both. The 811 doesn't have a clue which TV input I'm using.

I don't use it on the other TV, because I don't know where to get DVI or component cables long enough to reach from the TV room to the bedroom.

The only reason I have two cables on one TV is because I wanted to see if there was a picture quality difference between the two, and I got a good price on a DVI cable at Sam's Club.

I also can confirm that the 811 provide output to DVI and component simultaneously. By the way if you are looking for long component cables try one of these two vendors:

http://www.trianglecables.com/component-video-audio-cables.html

http://www.pacificcable.com/VideoAndAudio.htm#Python_Component_Cables

You can buy component cables that also include two additional cables for audio. They also may have long DVI cables but the longest I have found are 5 meters (about 16 feet) but you would still have to worry about audio. If you need a long TosLink Cable try this site:

http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?d=1&pn=C45591&s=5

I bought the 15 foot one from them and it is a high quality TosLink cable. If your interested, I also have some websites for TosLink connectors, (to connect two cables together) TosLink splitters and also TosLink to Digital Audio Coax converters. You can definitely get long Digital Audio Coax cables.

DVI cables over 5 meters go into fiber optic and are very expensive. Pacific Cable offers them if money is no object.

I alternate my Sammy DLP between DVI and component from my 811, but I have no way of knowing if I could actually produce a picture on a TV from both at the same time. That may be what the manual was trying to say.

Carl B said:
DVI cables over 5 meters go into fiber optic and are very expensive. Pacific Cable offers them if money is no object.

I alternate my Sammy DLP between DVI and component from my 811, but I have no way of knowing if I could actually produce a picture on a TV from both at the same time. That may be what the manual was trying to say.
Actually, I've done that. Using PIP on my Sony, I was able to put up Video 5 (component) on one side of the screen, and Video 7 (DVI) on the other side, simultaneously.

Thanks everybody for your guidence. Didn't want to prewire and then have a surprise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)