Switch outside in the cold

Silver3783

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
The installer that came and put in my dish mounted it outside obviously, but also installed the switch to the side of the house next to the dish outside which is exposed to the elements. Its a DP 34 and has constant exposure to rain/snow/freezing temps etc...

Is this something that I should be concerned about? Does it need to be relocated or should I protect it with some type of cover so it atleast doesn't get wet from the rain?

The dp34 switch has been installed outside on most installations I have seen, however I did my own install and placed my switch in a weather proof box. Less exposure to the elements.

box?

ByrdWatcher said:
The dp34 switch has been installed outside on most installations I have seen, however I did my own install and placed my switch in a weather proof box. Less exposure to the elements.

where did you get this box?

Silver3783 said:
where did you get this box?
Most commercial electrical supply houses have them. I got mine from Allied Molded Products Inc. They have a web site. If you want one remember that you have to drill holes for the cable and mounting brackets which I sealed with silicone sealer. This may not be worth your time or money. My box was about 12 bucks. I'm just an old ham operator and I seal all my junctions exposed to weather.

Probably the best box to use is an outdoor lawn sprinkler control cabinet that can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot. They are really durable and would last for years.

However, when mounting the switch outside, I prefer under the eave on the ceiling closest to the outside wall. That way it is out of the rain and snow in a sheltered area. Also, it get really good cooling. Mounted horizontally, no moisture flows into the connector ports.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)