811 Dark S-video Fix

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

scott5626

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2004
Does anyone now when the new software fix for the Dark s-vid will be released. :no

My 811 s-video output got brighter with the 264 software upgrade. However, it still looks as if they are using a 4 bit DAC, there is poor dynamic range (poor contrast). There is no detail in the blacks at all, they just made the same poor output a little brighter than it used to be with 263.

I am wondering if this is as good as it will get? Time to shoot off an email to Dish support and make some noise. I have read on these forums that there is a later upgrade to fix the dark s-video output, but mine already got brighter and the picture is now bright and mediocre rather than dark and mediocre.

Keith.

It's already out
No it is not. This issue has been well documented in this forum that this issue will not be fixed until version 265. If 264 fixed your's, consider yourself lucky. Most people still have the issue.

I have not checked my svideo, but I feel my OTA DVI has gotten darker with 264. I think they need to check the DVI and Composite too, I think detail is lost in the shadows and the picture overall is a little on the dark side.

GaryPen said:
I agree. Mine too.

Interesting because my DVI and S-Video seem brighter. As a matter of fact I had to adjust the TV's brightness down to 75% from 100% when using DVI. S-Video still requires 100% but seems brighter than before the update. Seems there are a lot of differing opinions on what the upgrade did to the brightness. Hmmmm...

My DVI and S-Video is dark and it is not fixed with 264. Only component is watchable. Never tried composite though.

The last tech chat said that 264, which has guide fixes, moved the back inputs to there own setting, but didn't fix all the OTA issues was due at the end of Feb, came out on March 2. The dark picture and hopefully additional OTA fixes and etc, reportedly was due at the end of March, Perhaps on April 1 :)

Gordon Small said:
Interesting because my DVI and S-Video seem brighter. As a matter of fact I had to adjust the TV's brightness down to 75% from 100% when using DVI. S-Video still requires 100% but seems brighter than before the update. Seems there are a lot of differing opinions on what the upgrade did to the brightness. Hmmmm...
:confused: 100% Brightness, and at what torch level is your contrast? You need to use a HT set up disk before you burn that thing up. :shocked

Kevinw said:
:confused: 100% Brightness, and at what torch level is your contrast? You need to use a HT set up disk before you burn that thing up. :shocked
It's not worth destroying your TV to get a good pic with the 811. Dish has admitted that the 811 has a dark output, so if yours dosen't I would be checking your TV's settings before it's too late. On mine no amount of adjustments can correct the problem, but I can get the brightness up to good viewing levels, but I won't because it does run the TV in the torch mode, and thats the wrong way to run it.

Also those that say to watch the SD on the component or DVI output, sorry but the image is soft because of the upconverting of the HD output. I'm sure it is acceptable on a small screen but not on any of the big screens I tried it on. Some people can get used to a crappy picture, but not me. I have too much money spent on equipment.

To Dish, please fix the dark SD issue on the 811 sooner than later. I won't leave you because of viacom ( I don't care about those channels anyway), but I will for a poor picture caused by your buggy equipment.

Sprite, as indicated in probably a slew of threads. Dish does intend to fix the issue, and while its annoying and a whole host of the descriptors perhaps, its only a matter of time...

Does anybody actually believe that there will be an upgrade (265?) next week, like was stated in the Retailer Chat??

Yes, I know it was scheduled for end of March, but it was stated that there would be an upgrade next week, not the end of the month. We'll see

Its possible, but like anything else, until some hits sysinfo and it says 265, its vaporware. If they are delivering 265 next week, I would like to know what it fixes? Is it the dark video, other aspect ratio issues, guide issues, OTA guide issues?

normang said:
Sprite, as indicated in probably a slew of threads. Dish does intend to fix the issue, and while its annoying and a whole host of the descriptors perhaps, its only a matter of time...

I know a fix is in the works, hopefully after 265 downloads it will be a non-issue, I mearly wanted to state that this problem is bad enough to start exploring other alternatives. I think Dish is the best value out there and plan on staying their customer.