811 & Dolby digital settings?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I have an 811 hooked up to a Dolby digital receiver(JVC 7030) and want to make sure I have the correct Dolby digital setting. The 811 menu lists "Dolby digital only", "PCM only", and "Dolby digital/PCM", which is the default setting. I set it for "Dolby digital/PCM", is that the correct setting? And I have the A/V receiver set for "Dolby digital Auto". Thanks.

If you want it to output both 5.1 and 2 channel on the optical than you are all set. This is how I run mine. That way, you do not need analog audio cables hooked up to your A/V receiver.

JimMcC said:
I have an 811 hooked up to a Dolby digital receiver(JVC 7030) and want to make sure I have the correct Dolby digital setting. The 811 menu lists "Dolby digital only", "PCM only", and "Dolby digital/PCM", which is the default setting. I set it for "Dolby digital/PCM", is that the correct setting? And I have the A/V receiver set for "Dolby digital Auto". Thanks.

Yes you should be fine...

when there is no DD on the signal it will do PCM when there is DD it will ouput the DD signal

My audio stopped working a few days ago and i can't figure it out. Here is what i have.

811 with optical out connected.
Harmon/Kardon AVR230

Starting a few days ago my AMP stopped recieving a audio signal from the 811. All my equipment is pretty new, so it shouldn't be broke. I have checked all the cables out and they all still work. Checked the input on my amp with my DVD player and that still works, there is even a little red light coming through the cable still. Anybody have any idea what this could be or other stuff i could try?

When you swapped to the DVD player and verified the input still worked, did you use the cable from the 811, or the cable that was already coming from the DVD player? Verifying the input still works is great, but you need to also rule out the 811's cable (seeing the laser doesn't necessarily prove anything).

Yeah I actually tried both cables and both inputs from my DVD player. And all combinations worked with my DVD player.

I would suggest 2 things... not sure if both will work as I dont have an 811 yet so take with a grain of salt.

1st... go into the menus and change the options on the DD settings to make sure they are turned on... the 811 could have turned them off itself... the light would even still be there

2nd... hold the power button on the reciever till the thing reboots... see if that doesnt restore that function.

On a note... does the reciever tell you what kind of signal its getting when its getting one... for instance my phillips says

PCM, DD 3/2 .1 or any other combinations... if it detects the signal something could be on either end

ShadowEKU said:
I would suggest 2 things... not sure if both will work as I dont have an 811 yet so take with a grain of salt.

1st... go into the menus and change the options on the DD settings to make sure they are turned on... the 811 could have turned them off itself... the light would even still be there

2nd... hold the power button on the reciever till the thing reboots... see if that doesnt restore that function.

On a note... does the reciever tell you what kind of signal its getting when its getting one... for instance my phillips says

PCM, DD 3/2 .1 or any other combinations... if it detects the signal something could be on either end

Thanks for the response:
I have rebooted my reciever a couple times, I have also reset back to factory settings to see if that would clear it up. My DD is set to DD/PCM(I think that's what it is.)

I am not sure about the reciever and what that says. I know it displays what audio it is using when my DVD player is running, but i didn't check since i have had this problem. I will check tonight when i get home.

Could it have anything to do with the quality of the coax coming from the dish? The one i am using is really old and the ends are loose, but i figure if my signal strength is there the audio should be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)