811 firmware update not likely...

Dick Sommers

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Fairfield, CA
It looks like E* has given up on the 811.
It's starting to look like it won't be getting another firmware update as we are getting close to the 411 release date and their last three releases were complete failures. Then there's the fact that the 522 got 7 updates since the beginning of the year, whole the 811 sits with bad firmware. I don't believe that they'll put any more time into the 811!

Regards

Dick Sommers said:
It looks like E* has given up on the 811....
Regards
I think you're right, Dick. Ron has been stringing us along for months now about a new general release of 811 firmware. It used to be that he would post release notes for the firmware before it hit the street, but now he doesn't. Maybe it's because the next release is just vaporware.

Hurry up, 411. I hope you're not based on the 811 firmware.

I don't think you are right about them giving up on the 811, think about it, they still release software for receivers that are a lot older than the 811. However, they may be taking a break from working on the 811 for right now. Regardless, I won't be buying any other receivers for a long time. (no money to buy another receiver)

Mikey,

Jason posts the release notes not me and as to the stringing you along, and it is my understanding that Jason has been asked not give out upcoming release information because it causes a lot of pain when a release is pulled back. Definitely a two edge sword.

So you can believe what you want and choose to believe Dick. I personally feel that there will be other firmware releases of the 811. You think Dish is going to let the 811 with the it's current increase in BSOD sit hanging out there until the 411. Think about it.

WeeJavaDude said:
Mikey,

Jason posts the release notes not me and as to the stringing you along, and it is my understanding that Jason has been asked not give out upcoming release information because it causes a lot of pain when a release is pulled back. Definitely a two edge sword.

So you can believe what you want and choose to believe Dick. I personally feel that there will be other firmware releases of the 811. You think Dish is going to let the 811 with the it's current increase in BSOD sit hanging out there until the 411. Think about it.
Why not? It's been hanging out there for weeks now. Or maybe E* will send a P2.84 box to those with P2.87 and the BSOD problem, and have them return their 811s. Problem solved. That might be easier on E* and the users, than continuing to churn problematic releases for the 811, with it's limited lifespan.

SD receivers are in a different boat. MPEG-4 isn't breathing down their necks, like it is with the HD receivers. Continued updates on those make more sense, because they'll be around longer, and because their firmware is more stable to begin with.

Hmmm the 6000 has received updates this year if I recall. Yes Minor but still an update. The MPEG-4 transition is not going to happen overnight and it most likely will happen later than sooner than anticipatied. The swapping plan you suggested would have to say is an extremely costly one and one Dish would not do just to get around a software update unless forced (i.e. Software update created a door stop).

Like I said.. Everyone has a right to believe what they want. Wish I could get some takers on the bet though. I need some extra cash to for a new MPEG-4 DVR. ;)

I would bet money there will be future firmware updates for the 811. I heard for years that Dish was going to drop all updates for the Dishplayer, but Dish kept right on supporting it, for years after discontinuing it. Heck, a couple of years after they quit selling it, they released an update that nearly fixed nearly every serious bug it had.

I believe Dish will be more committed to fixing the 811 than they were for the Dishplayer, which wasn't even based on their software.

Tom Bombadil said:
...I believe Dish will be more committed to fixing the 811 than they were for the Dishplayer, which wasn't even based on their software.
All true, except that the technology that the Dishplayer was based on, wasn't going away.

Well then the same could easily be said about the 921 and the 942. Anyway.. Like I said I am willing to take any wagers. Or just an addition to signatures claiming who is right. I we can make the deadline the end of Sept. even.

What do you say Mike and Dick?

WeeJavaDude said:
Well then the same could easily be said about the 921 and the 942. Anyway.. Like I said I am willing to take any wagers. Or just an addition to signatures claiming who is right. I we can make the deadline the end of Sept. even.

Just remember that ALL the hidef machines will be going the way of the dinosaur long before the rest of the SD lines will be turned into orphans.
What do you mean "signatures" - who's on the right side of this?

Regards

WeeJavaDude said:

Make the deadline the end of June, and you're on!

Well based on your posts Mikey, If I recall you were agreeing that the 811 would not be updated again so September is well withing the never range. ;) June is too close for my comfort level. To make it interesting, how about end of July.

Dick.. the 921 and 942 are HD DVRs. Signatures are the things that are at the bottom of our posts. Mine now says something along Idiot, DBSTroll and suspected drug user. Oh.. also says something about Perception.

As to "Who's on the right side" Basically the claim was that we won't be getting any more updates for the 811. I figured it would be fun to make a gentlemans agreement and the loser of the wager would place the fact that they were wrong and the other person was right into the agreement. Kinda of a trading places type of bet. ;)

So you and Mikey In? End of July the date.. hmmmm.

As much as I am looking forward to winning, 811 288 has not spooled yet. All this thread talks about is plans to spool. Big difference and it can be pulled at the last minute or delayed. Until it hits the stream the fat lady has not sang.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)