811 gets more black screen now......

hzhao

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Since SW 280, now I am experiencing more often get black screen, about every three days as before, about once a week........ Any thoughts?

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Aug 19, 2004
I had the same thing happen yesterday. How can E* software engineers be so bad? If DirecTV had a free HD Box, I'd seriously consider leaving E* now. Moreover, current E* customers cannot even get the six months of HD pack free, so we are stuck with a buggy box and paying for it.

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
It's had happan a couple times to me alone on Sunday in less than hour. It appears to happen more when switching from an OTA channel to sat channel or from sat channel to an OTA channel. It will also happen if your trying to lock on to a weak OTA station for a long time.

Bobhend

Sep 23, 2004
Use full screen GUIDE

Black screen can be reduced by using the full screen guide option. [10/3 reduced, but I am still getting a crash a day]

bestbuddy

Sep 14, 2004
Try "flushing" it

I had black screen and reboot problems 3-5 times in three hours every day since 280, but I read on another forum that the problem is residual data left on the system that needs to be flushed. I went through the procedure and believe it or not, it worked. It also fixed my very frequent reloading of the menu data. Try it and let me know if it worked:

Basic procedure:
disconnect OTA cable
reset the box to default
pull the plug from the wall for 15 minutes (I only did it for 5)
Put the plug back in
do a check switch
re-attach the OTA cable

That's it. Haven't had a black screen or needed to reboot since.

Carl B

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2003
Arvada, CO
Thanks for the report psuodu. I was going to do the "flush" this morning, but now I think I'll wait for more reports. Once you hit that "Restore Factory Defaults", plan on a half hour or so getting you Favorites set up again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)