811 install....DVI cable or not worth it?

sprinklerguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
I have the 811 installed with the component cables.....I need some component cables for my new DVD player...should I buy more components or should I buy DVI and use that for the 811 and components for the DVD?

Are there still problems using DVI more so than with components with the 811?

Is there a definitive answer?

sprinklerguy said:
I have the 811 installed with the component cables.....I need some component cables for my new DVD player...should I buy more components or should I buy DVI and use that for the 811 and components for the DVD?

Are there still problems using DVI more so than with components with the 811?

Is there a definitive answer?

really depends on the TV. SD looks better on DVI for me. HD is excellent on both. I would say go for DVI. pacificcable.com is the place to go.

I bought a DVI cable from Pacific Custom Cable and could not tell the difference between DVI or component.

Buy the DVI if you need the expansion in the TV (Running out of component).

For now, mine is in the "Electrical Junk Box" and waiting patiently to be used.

Buy whatever is cheaper, you won't notice a difference if you have a RPTV.

you can also get a great deal on DVI-D cables on ebay. I paid about $17 including shipping for a dual link DVI to run from my 811 to my Toshiba 57H83... make sure you know what your connection looks like and verify it looks the same on the website you are buying it from...but buying online is extremely cheaper than going to a local store.

I'm using a DVI cable with my 811 because I needed to free up a component input on my RPTV. I can't notice any difference in picture quality between DVI and component. I agree, get the cable online. Mine was only $20 with shipping, compared to $100 for the 6' Monster DVI cables in the stores.

I switched to the DVI cable and SD looks better on my Sony KP57ws500. Clearer and not dark. Ironically I did not see any improvement in HD, however HD looked fine with the component cables.

peid said:
Buy whatever is cheaper, you won't notice a difference if you have a RPTV.

I've posted as to this before. Don't believe the hype. My TV is an RPTV, and there is def. a difference for SD on DVI. Too many variables to be that cavalier about it.

I will use my DVR for SD anyway.....normally...cuz we like to pause and put kids to bed...last nite didn't have DVR hooked up and couldn't pause....HATED THAT! LOL

hancox said:
I've posted as to this before. Don't believe the hype. My TV is an RPTV, and there is def. a difference for SD on DVI. Too many variables to be that cavalier about it.

I bought one based upon your thread you started awhile back about the hype.

I am not saying by any means I wasted my money. I just did not see any difference on MY RPTV in either SD or HD.

It must vary from TV to TV. My component is equally as good as my DVI.

I also bought it just to see myself because it was killing me knowing there MIGHT be a better connection out there that I haven't even TRIED, now I have tried and sleep better at night! :D

hancox said:

I really need some clarificaiton on the SD on DVI, I currently have my 811 hooked up via component and the SD (Satellite) picture is a little darker, but the SD (OTA) and HD (OTA) are a good bit darker. the HD (Satellite) is Phenomenal.

I am getting a DVI-D cable today and was wondering what others think the best way to hook up is. I am going to hook up the 811 via DVI-D.

Should I be using S-Video Out on the 811 to my TV as well (got lots of hookups back there) and watch all SD via S-video?

I'm kinda confused. Thanks for any help. I have a Samsung DLP if that helps

My LCD looks about the same using DVI IN HD, but better in SD, also freed up component for the DVD player.

You shouldn't need an S-Video if using the DVI-D cable.

The book reccomends using the DVI-D cable for best SD picture.

Oakenshld said:
I really need some clarificaiton on the SD on DVI, I currently have my 811 hooked up via component and the SD (Satellite) picture is a little darker, but the SD (OTA) and HD (OTA) are a good bit darker. the HD (Satellite) is Phenomenal.

I am getting a DVI-D cable today and was wondering what others think the best way to hook up is. I am going to hook up the 811 via DVI-D.

Should I be using S-Video Out on the 811 to my TV as well (got lots of hookups back there) and watch all SD via S-video?

I'm kinda confused. Thanks for any help. I have a Samsung DLP if that helps

I have the 50" Samsung DLP TV. DVI-D is the only conector that I use for viewing thru the 811. Just run the DVI-D from the 811 to the DVI input of the Sammy. Jiggle the cables as you screw in the connectors to make sure that they go completely into the socket. On the TV menu select DVI for the input. As you noticed now you don't have any sound from the TV. Using a standard RCA audio jack run the audio from the 811 audio output to the PC audio in on the rear of the TV.

If you have the audio going into your home theater system no changes are necessary.

The S Video is a analog output. You will receive a terrible HD picture using this connector.

Each TV is different. One would expect the DVI connection to work best with fixed pixel televisions like DLP/Plasma/LCD.

Now on tube based televisions it probably varies with each TV. Is the digital to analog converter better in the Dish box or the TV, or are they the same?

Scaling is another issue... Is the scaler better in the Dish Box or the TV?

This has to be experimented with by the end user.

sprinklerguy said:
I will use my DVR for SD anyway.....normally...cuz we like to pause and put kids to bed...last nite didn't have DVR hooked up and couldn't pause....HATED THAT! LOL

I hear that!! I have my 522 and 811 on the same TV.
TW, I use components on my HD and it looks GREAT!

peid said:
Plus it won't be HD!

Very tru and it is analog thru the components, not digital. It gets converted back to digital in the TV when using component cables for HD.

Much, much better SD, with DVI. I have a Hitachi 57S700 RPTV. SD was almost unwatchable via S-Video on the 811-HD. (Dim, as reported & the color was way off... strange orange cast). I calibrated my set with AVIA, and now I don't need 2 settings for HD & SD. Can't see any benefit on HD with DVI over component.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)