811 INSTALL SUGGESTIONS

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
I had my 811 installed this morning 12/6. Actually, I installed the 811 this morning. The installer had never seen one before and told me that I was the first in my area to receive one.

First, use the S-Video connection so that you can set the proper output both video and audio for your setup.

Second, if you are going to use the DVI you can not use the Componet. If you use the DVI the settop will turn off the Componet out. If you do not want to watch SD in a 4x3 setting then leave the S-Video connected.

Third, if you are going to use DVI and/or optical for audio, have the cables already plug into your receiver, HDTV for the installer. I was at Home Depot trying to get some hardware for a 61.5 dish (I have my old Dish 300) and when I got home the installer was there trying to figure out what was what. My wife told him that this was a major hobby of mine. That leads me to my forth suggestion.

Fourth, do your own install! As soon as I got in I could see that he was lost behind my home theater setup. I asked if I could plug things in and he was estatic. We had the 811 up and running in 5 minutes.

Fifth, Make sure everything works before he leaves. The Dish Tech support is not up to speed on the 811. They will put you on hold and come back make a suggestion and put you on hold again. Let the installer deal with things that do not work---they must receive better tech support -- or not.

Sixth, If you plan on using a Home Theater Remote (any brand) use the 301 remote to program it beforehand. I was using a 301 and I programed my Pronto Neo. I did not have to change anything for the 811. Everything worked perfectly. Shocked the installer, I turned it on while he was reaching for the remote.

Finally, do not get upset if everything does not work yet. The fact that it is there means that there is a plan for it to work -- someday.

I hope these suggestions might speed-up your 811 install and allow that install to go smoothly with positive results. I have been playing with mine all day. Man that HDNet is beeeaautiful!!! :D

Thanks for the sugestions...
Looks like I am the second instal in the ATL area. I used my 501 to program my Home Theater Master MX-500. Worked like a charm.
Love the new software, quicker channel load times and faster remote response than my old 6000. I also like the picture in the guide...
Very nice.
I pretty much installed it while the Dish guy watched. I also was able to let him know that it was not a DVR receiver like he told the first install in ATL. The Dish guy thought because the remote had the DVR buttons, it must be a DVR machine...I WISH!
He was nice...just not knowledgable about the newer machines.

He also said Dish network has been having all kinds of problems with the 322/522 software. He thinks they were released too early!
Thanks again, Nik

JoeSp said:
First, use the S-Video connection so that you can set the proper output both video and audio for your setup.
:D

I don't understand. Why would you want to use S-Video over component and optical outputs?

You need to use the s viceo to go into the setup menu and change the setup from 720 output o 1080 output or the HD will not work if your tv is 1080, which most are. The default is 720.

jerryez said:
You need to use the s viceo to go into the setup menu and change the setup from 720 output o 1080 output or the HD will not work if your tv is 1080, which most are. The default is 720.

Right, I forgot about that. However, if the 811 is suppose to output SD and HD simultaneously, why aren't the component outs hot? You can't output HD with S-Video, can you?

lkstaack said:
jerryez said:

Right, I forgot about that. However, if the 811 is suppose to output SD and HD simultaneously, why aren't the component outs hot? You can't output HD with S-Video, can you?

The component is "hot". But as jerryez said, the factory default is 720. If your set doesn't accept 720, it can be as hot as anything, but your set won't display anything.

Regarding outputing HD via S-video, no it's not HD. But the HD channel downconverted to SD NTSC 480i, so you can watch any channel via S-Video. By viewing the S-Video output when you first set up your 811, you're assured of seeing an image and being able to set up your 811 just in case the 811 defaults to 720 and your HD set doesn't accept 720.

lkstaack said:
jerryez said:

They are hot - your TV just can't "see" them. The 811's DVI or component outs and SD outs (S-video and composite) are hot simultaneously. When you first connect HD, the 811 is outputting it's default 720p scan and you will not get a display with DVI or component connects if your HD TV can only accept 1080i and 480p.

The S-video or composite outs are only needed initially to see the 811's setup menu. I have kept the composite video connection so I can demonstrate the difference in HD and SD PQ using my TV's split-screen feature.

Hope this helps.

My Mits can use both 720p and 1080i. However, which one provides the best PQ. I guess I'll know for myself in another week or so.

Tried a 301 download from remotecentral with discrete on & off codes for MX-700/800. Should be ready on Mon or Tue when mine comes in. Thanks for the tip.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)