811 Installed today.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

a2zvisa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 26, 2004
Visalia, Ca
Just had it installed today. My only complaint is (not sure if its my HDTV or 811) when I have the 811 in 480p mode (menu 6-1-9) all sd channels fit perfectly in my 16x9 screen. And look great also. When I set it (811) to 1080i, only the HD channels (DiscHD, ESPNHD, etc) or OTA HD's fit the screen. All SD channels including OTA's that are not broadcasting HD are in 4x3 format (black bars on side). I can always use the format button on the 811 remote but for my wife, this is impossible. Any ideas? (BTW- under MENU 6-1-9, I do have the 811 set to 16x9 aspect ratio)

Thanks
a2zvisa

p.s. The Pistons vs Pacers NBA game on ESPNHD was beautiful! Can't wait for ESPN Sunday night Football!

Sorry, I don't understand what you would want. It sounds to me like when you use the true HD capabilities, 16:9 content is displayed correctly, and 4:3 content is displayed correctly. If you want the 4:3 content to be stretched or zoomed (I consider that incorrect rendering), you can use the format button.

a2zvisa said:
Just had it installed today. My only complaint is (not sure if its my HDTV or 811) when I have the 811 in 480p mode (menu 6-1-9) all sd channels fit perfectly in my 16x9 screen. And look great also. When I set it (811) to 1080i, only the HD channels (DiscHD, ESPNHD, etc) or OTA HD's fit the screen. All SD channels including OTA's that are not broadcasting HD are in 4x3 format (black bars on side). I can always use the format button on the 811 remote but for my wife, this is impossible. Any ideas? (BTW- under MENU 6-1-9, I do have the 811 set to 16x9 aspect ratio)

You can leave it on 1080i, and watch SD in partial zoom mode, and HD in normal mode. I'm sure your wife will get the hang of it.

I have a programmable remote and created a "Watch HD" button, and a "Watch SD" button, that puts the TV in the proper mode. It's worked out well for the wife and kids.

a2zvisa said:

Thanks
a2zvisa

p.s. The Pistons vs Pacers NBA game on ESPNHD was beautiful! Can't wait for ESPN Sunday night Football!

I thought the same thing when I first got mine. But over time, as you watch each channel and push the forat button to view, the 811 remembers that setting for that channel (mine does anyway). Now when I switch to a SD channel like TLC or HGTV, it automatically goes to "stretch" mode and then back to "normal" when I change to HD. The only exception is OTA HD. :)

Yes SimpleSimon, I agree with you. It does render correctly on 4x3 content and we should get used to watching it this way. I've been playing with this receiver and realized that it "remembers" what format (normal, stretched, partial zoom, etc) you selected when you viewed it last. That'll be nice for my wife cause she complains about eVerYthING that has to do with this "investment".

Thanks for the input everyone!
a2zvisa

BTW, I have a Philips 34inch Flat CRT widescreen model 34PW850H

a2zvisa said:
Yes SimpleSimon, I agree with you. It does render correctly on 4x3 content and we should get used to watching it this way. I've been playing with this receiver and realized that it "remembers" what format (normal, stretched, partial zoom, etc) you selected when you viewed it last. That'll be nice for my wife cause she complains about eVerYthING that has to do with this "investment".

Thanks for the input everyone!
a2zvisa

4x3 is great until it burns in an expensive CRT RPTV set. That's the reason I watch it in zoom mode.

AcuraCL said:
Which to me was a good enough reason NOT to buy an expensive CRT RPTV ....

Considering the resolution is higher than plasma and it will last years longer...not to mention there is no delay as with LCD...CRT RPTV is the way to go for many people.

I also found the format button after watching my TV for a couple of days. I thought I was going to be stuck watching the black bars on the "regular" channels.

Nice that it remembers to stretch the signal for you on those channels...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)