811 looses signal if I go to a specific channel

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Torqd

Original poster
Nov 12, 2003
I have 2 811's and a dish500. I am not that sat savy as far as installing goes. I have the Family package with the legacy $10 HD package. We have had this service for several years. Just a few days ago our 811's starting loosing signal if we changed the channel to channel 170 nick. It would start going through the 5 steps to acquire a signal. I called Dish and they cannot figure it out. I did the few tests like peak angle and looked at all the details page for them. I know the info is limited but have any of you seen this before... only one channel not working. I get 110 and 119 I think... both over 100 on signal meter.

Any help would be appreciated.

One more note... I had a 811 and 301 to start with just a few months back I got a second hand 811 from my brother and activated it on my account. It worked ok for a while and now we are having our first problem since we started Dish... any links that you can think of. He had a superdish and I had to change a setting on his old 811 to get it to work...

Thanks again

My experience with loosing one channel has most always been a cable or cable connection problem. For instance, corrossion on and inside of F connectors, barrels, spark gaps and the like. Usually on a dish system, if you're missing a particular channel, an info screen will tell you what Sat and transponder has been lost. However, this isn't always the case as with some receivers and software. If your're missing the channel on both receivers, inspect the hardware common to both. If only on one receiver, inspect the hardware feeding that receiver. As always with dish, make sure you're software is up to date. Good luck. ajg1950

Nick (ch 170) is on transponder 16 from the 119 satellite so you need to check the signal strength on that transponder (menu, 6, 1, 1). If the signal is low your dish may need adjusting. If you see the signal jumping around it could be, as ajg1950 said, a cable or a connector problem. Also, it could be a LNB or switch problem but you likely would be seeing problems on more channels.

My guess is a bad connector or dish needs re-aligned. What signal are you getting on 119. transponder 16 and 19?

Sorry guys.. I checked back a few days after posting and had no replies... then forgot about it. The problem has mostly went away... I had great signal(so I didn't think it was an alignment issue)... and had no other missing channels at the time... for a few days the missing channel would be 170 and then switch to 171... but when it was happening all other channels on the same transponder were ok...

Pretty weird if you ask me... but I am no expert...

I think I will get on the roof in nicer weather and make sure all connections are ok up there... if they look corroded I will replace ends with my TB snap and seals that I use for my home theater installs... i think the original installer did not use these.

Thanks and I will keep you posted

I have usually found that when you lose one transponder it is a LNB issue. Alot of times there will be a signal from that transponder, but it will be around a 40 or a 50 while the rest of the transponders are over 100.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)