811 Losing its Mind

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Noticed the 811 in the bedroom is downloading the EPG every time I press the guide button. However, I can manually change channels by number without a problem (great if only I could remember those four digital channel numbers). A Soft boot and hard boot did not resolve the problem. Before I delete and rescan all locals, and perhaps perform a factory reset & reauthorization, I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem? If so, what's the problem and what's the cure.

Thanks in advance...

I have ver. P381 and experiencing the same problem as well. I believe it started happening to me early this week. Had the 811 since 12/04 and haven't had a problem with it. Also tried a hard and soft reset and that didn't resolve the problem. When I enter the guide, I've been just hitting cancel when it trys to download.

I do turn the unit off at night. Would also like to know how to resolve this.

When I get the update message, I hit cancel and I can get the channel I want from the guide. The problem is, the message comes up the next time you hit the guide button. I wonder if E* will get the 811 to work before they de-commission the thing?
In all the years I've had mine, I've never had it work right. I had to add an extension cord up to my entertainment center so I can unplug it. The hard reset is the only thing that keeps my 811 usable.

I deleted all the scanned OTA channels, did a hard reboot, rescanned local OTA, and then did another reboot. It was working normally last night, but I need to test it in greater detail. My impression is that the firmware/guide doesn't like one of the local channels. I'm in the Washington DC DMA, but have two OTA antennas and receive programming from DC, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville.

Here is what I did to correct the problem:
1) Deleted all my OTA local channels
2) Soft Reset
3) Re-scan all OTA local channels

So far my 811 is not requesting to download local guide data every time I enter the guide.

Hope this helps anyone else that is experiencing this issue.

Jim...Yrac said about the same thing I was. That usually solves this problem.

I had to add an extension cord up to my entertainment center so I can unplug it. The hard reset is the only thing that keeps my 811 usable.

You can reset it by inserting and removing a card in the front. Thats how I reboot mine and I've never needed to pull the power.

There isn't any removable card on the Dish 811!

We started having the same problem a few days ago, coincident with the installation of the latest 811 software. I finally just let it take all the time it wanted to download local information one time and it has been a "good boy" ever since.

I've owned my 811 since 12/03 and there actually were a couple of software versions that made it run well. But, none lately. My wife thinks the E* is harassing us on purpose in hopes that we will dump our 811 and "buy into" one of their new, more costly HD packages.

Well, my 811 is back to doing the same ole routine. Just as long as I don't hit the guide button, I change channels. If I do hit the guide button, I can cancel the download and select the channel...but it sure is annoying. This has to be a firmware problem.

If the gift card still has a balance, I'm sure Charlie has found a way to cash in on it. :D

Well, my 811 is back to doing the same ole routine. Just as long as I don't hit the guide button, I change channels. If I do hit the guide button, I can cancel the download and select the channel...but it sure is annoying. This has to be a firmware problem.

Same boat. No matter what I try, after the unit has been off over night, I get the "needs to download local information" message. If I let it download, I'm okay for the rest of the time that the unit remains on. I tried scrubbing my OTA channels, doing a hard reboot, and re-scanning my channels. Didn't help and in fact created an on-going problem with one of the channels I used to get. The 811 will no longer convert the OTA channel to the virtual channel and won't allow me to view the channel as either. Glad I have another OTA receiver to use in the mean time.

Yep, the 811 is off the charts. I have seen error 005, 332 more times than I care to mention. Black screen, freezes: all this since the 3.81 software. All fine with my guide, even had OTA info, prior to the 3.81. I let it DL local, too; still getting the error. Dish tech says lots of calls on same, no timeline for fix. Small credit given for my inconvenience. It's on my calendar to call back Nov 2 if still same. It's been 3 weeks, it's time for the fix.

811 Support Sucks

Dish network support for problems on the 811 SUCKS. I was told there was a Eprom problem on my "old" receiver (which had to be replaced earlier due to constant guide download problems last year). They sent me a new 811 - after they tried to make me pay $14 for shipping - ya right!!protest

I set it up 4 days ago. Still get the same problem using P381 software. The Tech told me he'd put me on the list for upgrades when the new software is available - who knows when that will be!!! Mine's been acting up for about 3 weeks now. Yes I know I can cancel out out of the download.

Personally, I plan on calling them every day I have a problem and refusing to pay for that day's service. :eureka If enough people refuse to pay, they may actually hire some competent software engineers who will test their upgrades before rolling them out. The Engineering manager and VP should be FIRED for doing such a piss poor job.:mad:

Dish network support for problems on the 811 SUCKS. I was told there was a Eprom problem on my "old" receiver (which had to be replaced earlier due to constant guide download problems last year). They sent me a new 811 - after they tried to make me pay $14 for shipping - ya right!!protest

I set it up 4 days ago. Still get the same problem using P381 software. The Tech told me he'd put me on the list for upgrades when the new software is available - who knows when that will be!!! Mine's been acting up for about 3 weeks now. Yes I know I can cancel out out of the download.

Personally, I plan on calling them every day I have a problem and refusing to pay for that day's service. :eureka If enough people refuse to pay, they may actually hire some competent software engineers who will test their upgrades before rolling them out. The Engineering manager and VP should be FIRED for doing such a piss poor job.:mad:
Exactly what I told the tech, incomplete service, no pay. All 811's get on the phone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts