Dish/Direct Deals

jjjjjreynolds

Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
I'm looking to switch from cable and just got off the phone with Dish and Direct, asking about deals they would currently have. I have 2 HD TVs and one SD TV. I asked for two HD DVRs and one Standard receiver.

Dish recommended a 622, and 211 to cover my three TVs. The first 622 was free, no rebates, and $549 for the second, hence the 211. After 6 months, I could dish it up the 211 for the 622 for $49. Dish advantage with HD costs of $70, extra receiver $5, $75 before tax. They have a $20 monthly rebate for the first 10 months.

Direct does allow you to lease two of the HD DVRs, for $199 after rebate each. They would not budge on the price, as I told them I would sign up today if they gave me one. We priced out two of the HD DVRs and one SD receiver to cover my needs. They quoted a Plus HD package for $70 before tax. I asked about the receiver fees, and he said that the HD receivers are included as HD access, and the first SD receiver is free. He was willing to do $10 off, as noted on their site, for the first 12 months, and another $10 for the first 10 months.

Is this information accurate?, which would be the better option as I'm not leaning either way. Thanks for your help

Also consider what you are getting for the money--both in program content and video quality. Most folks seem to like the Dish HD-DVR receivers much better, but since I have never had DirecTV I cannot confirm that. Presently I do have four Dish DVRs: two VIP622, one 625, and one 508. Only one VIP622 is leased. The rest (and all dishes and DPP44 switch) are owned. I think they are well worth the monthly expense.

Last edited:
The additional receiver fees are $5.00 for sd receivers and $6.00 for hd receivers . This is after the first receiver. If you lease then it is called lease fees instead of additional receiver fees. If you don't keep your phone lines plugged in then it is $5.00 more for each dual tuner receiver you don't keep plugged in. Dvr fees are also $5.98 per dvr receiver. AEP has no fees on dvrs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)