Direct TV to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
DIRECTV give you check boxes next to the options you want to use.
This used to mean something back when "native mode" was an option; it went away in Summer 2019. IIRC, you pick one format and live with it unless you view content that is either 1080p native (PPV) or 4K where it switches to the appropriate resolution. One school of thought reasoned that changing resolutions caused channel changes to take much longer.
DISH never offered a "native" option.

As for interlacing, you shouldn't see that on a non-CRT display (though you may see artifacts). All of DIRECTV's conventional 1080 channels are interlaced (PPV 1080p channels are obviously 1080p) and always have been.

Reactions: charlesrshell
This used to mean something back when "native mode" was an option; it went away in Summer 2019. IIRC, you pick one format and live with it unless you view content that is either 1080p native (PPV) or 4K where it switches to the appropriate resolution. One school of thought reasoned that changing resolutions caused channel changes to take much longer.
DISH never offered a "native" option.

As for interlacing, you shouldn't see that on a non-CRT display (though you may see artifacts). All of DIRECTV's conventional 1080 channels are interlaced (PPV 1080p channels are obviously 1080p) and always have been.

So that is my point does Dish push the feed the way they are receiving from tv station or are they outputting everything in 1080i. There are only two options as to why the picture is not as good as Direct TV.

1) They are downgrading everything to 1080i
2) They just use more compression and 1080i is not the issue.
3) Both

Dish only gives you the option of 1080i ,1080p and 4k all as the same choice. DIRECTV give you check boxes next to the options you want to use. All of my Channels at Direct TV wee 1080P and its night a day difference from interlace.
No they are not, no channel, Cable or OTA, broadcasts in 1080P, only 480P/720P/1080i.

Then you set the box to output the resolution you wish.

Yes, YTTV is 1080P, but they do a great job of up-conversion.

The only thing that has real 1080P for TV Programing ( and a lot of 4K) are the streaming services, Paramount+ for one example.

So that is my point does Dish push the feed the way they are receiving from tv station or are they outputting everything in 1080i.
DISH, like DIRECTV sends a 1080i stream for their conventional 1080 content. With the exception of the premium movie channels, that's how the content comes from the channel itself.
There are only two options as to why the picture is not as good as Direct TV.
Assuming this is the case.
This is true of almost all of the conventional pay TV services (assuming that they don't down-convert to 720p).
This is typically the issue when the issue is real and not imagined. There's also some "special sauce" that may be poured on the content to give it higher contrast or make the colors "pop".

I would also point out that there are services that stream 30fps rather than 60fps.

I guess I wad dead wrong about 1080P on Direct TV. I thought they were broadcasting in 1080P. Do you guys notice any difference in picture ?

Dish only gives you the option of 1080i ,1080p and 4k all as the same choice. DIRECTV give you check boxes next to the options you want to use. All of my Channels at Direct TV wee 1080P and its night a day difference from interlace. The picture is sharper and crisp , interlace is more rough and softer. I actually think YouTube.TV has better resolution than Dish. I dont understand why they would go through building the Hopper only to have subpar picture quality. Its makes 0 Sense. I think also the Dolby digital is compressed to hell. Again youtube.tv surround channels are much better audio quality.

I wish a pro audio company would do a head to head between these services.
Are ya sure you didn't want to just stay with DTV?

So that is my point does Dish push the feed the way they are receiving from tv station or are they outputting everything in 1080i. There are only two options as to why the picture is not as good as Direct TV.

3) Both
I did a cert route with a new guy yesterday and replaced DTV with a Hopper Duo. As soon as it went to live tv, the Husband and wife commented on how much better the picture looked. This is very common. It was on an Onn 4K TV. On higher-end TVs and I've said this 100 times, go into other settings and calibrate the TV. There are plenty of guides on this. On my old LG 47" 1080 60hz TV after calibrating with a Hopper 3, the picture was as close to stunning as that TV would allow.

I did a cert route with a new guy yesterday and replaced DTV with a Hopper Duo. As soon as it went to live tv, the Husband and wife commented on how much better the picture looked. This is very common. It was on an Onn 4K TV. On higher-end TVs and I've said this 100 times, go into other settings and calibrate the TV. There are plenty of guides on this. On my old LG 47" 1080 60hz TV after calibrating with a Hopper 3, the picture was as close to stunning as that TV would allow.
I am still playing around with color adjustments etc on the tvs... I dont think its as bad as I thought. However I Am not sure about the blacks..

I wish a pro audio company would do a head to head between these services.
I'd imagine that they wouldn't find any noticeable differences. I'm not convinced that re-compressing already compressed multi-channel audio is practical. Both services offer Dolby AC3 for their linear channels because that's the safest format to ensure universal compatibility. Since there can be only one channel, they can't tell those with AC3 that they must upgrade their audio systems, there must be minor compromises.

If you're looking for the latest and greatest audio, you'll almost certainly need to move to a streaming platform where the provider can send streams tailored to your system's capabilities. Of course, this probably only applies to the premium movie services as most cable channels don't offer AC4.

Streaming like YTTV are better picture quality than Dish?
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but streaming services have the potential to offer a better picture because they aren't needing to multiplex their channels onto a fixed-bandwidth channel as DBS satellite and OTA must.

Some streaming services don't avail themselves of that ability and instead choose to down-convert their streams. Your mileage will likely vary.