Direct TV to DISH

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That pic isn't even the Hopper 2. As far as your Is ThIs a LeGiT CoMpAnY remark, yeah. The company that's putting DTV out of business, bit by bit.
If you're trying to sign up on the website, it's going to give you what it's programmed to based on your number of TV's.
They are sold out

I have a few questions:

Thinking of bolting from Direct TV:

1) Can I watch Sports games in 4k on Dish ? On Direct TV it asks me if I want to switch to the 4k programming.
2) Does the Hopper system work better than the Hopper Plus ?
3) Is the picture as good on Dish as on Direct TV ?
4) Am I am making a massive mistake moving from Direct TV to Dish ?
5) Do all of the features work on the Hopper Plus or am I signing up to be a beta test for two years ?
There is also a bonus that if you get a fire TV stick you can watch all of your programming on an additional TV at no cost (except the Fire TV stick) You also have to remembered that most 4K Sports Programming is not shot in 4K but made 4K in the studio. Most 4K TV's can also improve the picture to almost 4K. You can also watch 4K from a 4K fire stick off an app if it is not on DISH. The Olympics and similar events (World Cup, etc.) are put on temporary 4K channels on DISH. I would not get the Hopper +, better off with a Fire Stick, Roku, etc.

Reactions: HipKat
The problem with the Stream model is its a complete cluster. Someone needs to tie it all together so you can get all of the channels at once.
I absolutely DISAGREE. Streaming is The Answer for anyone who hopelessly wants to see their providers offer A La Carte. The opposite of that is bundling. Bundling forces payment for Jewelry TV and other programs that many do not watch and could never survive on their own.

If cable and sat offered ala carte programs, most programers would go out of business. Your 250 channels available would probably be more like 20 to 30 channels. The packages are insisted by the programers who own packages of channels, not the sat or cable companies.

If cable and sat offered ala carte programs, most programers would go out of business. Your 250 channels available would probably be more like 20 to 30 channels. The packages are insisted by the programers who own packages of channels, not the sat or cable companies.
Most channels deserves to be ended, take a look at the content, reruns, or multiple airings of the same show over and over during the week just so they can increase Advertising Revenue.

And most programmers would not go out of business, most cable channels are owned by just a few companies and they all have streaming services.

A La Carte is the perfect example of the Free Market, if something cannot survive on it’s own ( get enough business), then it deserves to end.

For example, I am glad I do not have a service that has the RSN here in Florida, would get peeved if I had to pay a extra RSN Charge for something I would never watch.

But I do spend the money for MLB for the Tigers, ESPN+ for the Red Wings and soon Sunday Ticket via YTTV for the Lions.

When we moved here in 2020, I thought about getting Charter/Spectrum‘s pick 15 channels package ( locals were already included), I think we got to 7 and rest were just fillers for us, did not really want/need them.

Decided against it, not much savings with the Broadcast Channel charge and other fees.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Streaming really isn't the answer to a la carte and it is only getting worse as content owners consolidate with their respective "Plus' services.
Why?

And it is the perfect example of A Le Carte and the free market.

For example, have a Live TV Service, forced to get channels I do not want and pay for with my monthly bill, like the Discovery suite of Channels(Food Network, HGTV, etc).

Do not have a Live TV Service, not forced to get Discovery+, so not paying for content I do not want.

Perhaps you could name some "channels" that are examples of a la carte. The possibility of doing something doesn't insure the profitability of same.
Why channels instead of content, it is pretty much the same thing, specially in today’s world of DVRs .

For example Food Network is a cable channel, also all Food Network content, new and old, is on Discovery+.

I do not want either.

I do want CBS, so I have Paramount+.

Why channels instead of content, it is pretty much the same thing, specially in today’s world of DVRs .

For example Food Network is a cable channel, also all Food Network content, new and old, is on Discovery+.

I do not want either.

I do want CBS, so I have Paramount+.
This makes absolutely no sense. I think you watch too much TV.

So I decided to dump DIRECTV and jump on Dish. I also have been trying out Youtube.tv side by side. I was able to get the Hopper 3 with 4k Joey's.

1) The Hopper system is easily the most incredible DVR system I have ever used. It is lightening fast and the features are so beyond DRECTV its not even a comparison. I have had DTV for over 20 years.
2) This one is tricky but I will explain. The picture on DirectTV seems sharper but I Am not sure by how much. I watched the Superbowl in 4k and compared it to youtube and the colors were much deeper with DISH. I noticed the channels coming from Dish are all 1080i except 4k. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but I think that is what is giving DTV the edge especially in sports. Although its very close. The blacks are about the same between YouTube and Dish.
3) Youtube channels are great but they are lacking some channels that Dish and DTV still provide. Youtube is cheaper than Dish but the menu and DVR system are an absolute nightmare.

Conclusion: I am happy with the hopper system but I wish they would broadcast in 1080P. I only watched Football games in 4k when they are available and so far its about the same as what DirectTV offers. I think if Dish ends up using their hopper system and tie it into an Internet service they will kill it. The biggest downside to all of these services is the hardware cant keep up with the technology. 1080 and 4k signals are compressed like crazy and for audio you can forget it. If I throw on an HDR movie with uncompressed audio it absolutely kicks ass.

Also I called about 6 Home Theater Installers in the Orange County area and all of them said Dish or Direct TV are still king. All of them leaned Dish because of the Hopper system.

How do you guys feel about DISH Picture quality vs DirectTV and Streaming ?

So I decided to dump DIRECTV and jump on Dish. I also have been trying out Youtube.tv side by side. I was able to get the Hopper 3 with 4k Joey's.

1) The Hopper system is easily the most incredible DVR system I have ever used. It is lightening fast and the features are so beyond DRECTV its not even a comparison. I have had DTV for over 20 years.
2) This one is tricky but I will explain. The picture on DirectTV seems sharper but I Am not sure by how much. I watched the Superbowl in 4k and compared it to youtube and the colors were much deeper with DISH. I noticed the channels coming from Dish are all 1080i except 4k. Not sure how much of a difference it makes but I think that is what is giving DTV the edge especially in sports. Although its very close. The blacks are about the same between YouTube and Dish.
3) Youtube channels are great but they are lacking some channels that Dish and DTV still provide. Youtube is cheaper than Dish but the menu and DVR system are an absolute nightmare.

Conclusion: I am happy with the hopper system but I wish they would broadcast in 1080P. I only watched Football games in 4k when they are available and so far its about the same as what DirectTV offers. I think if Dish ends up using their hopper system and tie it into an Internet service they will kill it. The biggest downside to all of these services is the hardware cant keep up with the technology. 1080 and 4k signals are compressed like crazy and for audio you can forget it. If I throw on an HDR movie with uncompressed audio it absolutely kicks ass.

Also I called about 6 Home Theater Installers in the Orange County area and all of them said Dish or Direct TV are still king. All of them leaned Dish because of the Hopper system.

How do you guys feel about DISH Picture quality vs DirectTV and Streaming ?
I'm glad you found a way to get this done with the right equipment!

That picture quality question comes up often and I think it comes down to two things; the user's eye and any calibration of the TV itself. Calibrating my old LG 1080P TV wit the Hopper 4 and it looked stunning.

Streaming only on my Sony X900H and the picture is incredible but I use an Nvidia Sheild Pro with Dolby Vision and the AI 4K Upscaling enabled

I'm glad you found a way to get this done with the right equipment!

That picture quality question comes up often and I think it comes down to two things; the user's eye and any calibration of the TV itself. Calibrating my old LG 1080P TV wit the Hopper 4 and it looked stunning.

Streaming only on my Sony X900H and the picture is incredible but I use an Nvidia Sheild Pro with Dolby Vision and the AI 4K Upscaling enabled

That is hard to believe because I can even get Dish Anywhere to load without loading in 480

As with DIRECTV, this is a function of the output setting, not the channel's native resolution.
Dish only gives you the option of 1080i ,1080p and 4k all as the same choice. DIRECTV give you check boxes next to the options you want to use. All of my Channels at Direct TV wee 1080P and its night a day difference from interlace. The picture is sharper and crisp , interlace is more rough and softer. I actually think YouTube.TV has better resolution than Dish. I dont understand why they would go through building the Hopper only to have subpar picture quality. Its makes 0 Sense. I think also the Dolby digital is compressed to hell. Again youtube.tv surround channels are much better audio quality.

I wish a pro audio company would do a head to head between these services.