811 Newbie questions, please help

protoboard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2004
I currently have a 301 / 510 DVR setup. I have been nothing but pleased with DSIH from Day one, I have had this for 6 months now, both boxes perform great no complaints. I called E* yesterday and "got on the list" for an upgrade to the 811.

They quoted me at 2-4 weeks before they would call me back to even tell me what the offer was. This seems like BS to me.

1. can anyone here tell me does emailing ceo@echostar.com actually work? Or is there someplace else that I can get the unit faster without paying $400?
2. I live in NW susburbs of CHI, about 38 miles from the tower in a townhome. My neighbor has a $75 antenna in his attic from Radio Shack and gets decent to good reception (all watchable with little or no distortion) on all local OTA analog channels. Does this mean I will defintely be able to get the OTA digital HD feeds with an 811?

Emailing the ceo does get a response but the 811 is back ordered and they can't do much except throw you free movie or something.

#2 - Yes

Also, if your locals all broadcast in DTV/HDTV, you might want to look at buying a desktop box for HD/DTV instead of the 811.

Yes I considered gettin an OTA box, but the simple fact that I can hook the antenna directly to the 811 and integrate the channels (without program info) into my guide like it was normal TV sounds better. Also, where can I get a OTA box for as cheap as Dish will be letting me upgrade to the 811?

protoboard said:
Yes I considered gettin an OTA box, but the simple fact that I can hook the antenna directly to the 811 and integrate the channels (without program info) into my guide like it was normal TV sounds better. Also, where can I get a OTA box for as cheap as Dish will be letting me upgrade to the 811?

I understood you did not want to wait, I was suggesting a desktop box. Not sure what they cost (~$250?) The HD content on E* is not that great but it is nice to watch HDNet stuff.

I watch more OTA HD on my 811 than E* HD stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)