811 Newbie questions, please help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

protoboard

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 13, 2004
I currently have a 301 / 510 DVR setup. I have been nothing but pleased with DSIH from Day one, I have had this for 6 months now, both boxes perform great no complaints. I called E* yesterday and "got on the list" for an upgrade to the 811.

They quoted me at 2-4 weeks before they would call me back to even tell me what the offer was. This seems like BS to me.

1. can anyone here tell me does emailing ceo@echostar.com actually work? Or is there someplace else that I can get the unit faster without paying $400?
2. I live in NW susburbs of CHI, about 38 miles from the tower in a townhome. My neighbor has a $75 antenna in his attic from Radio Shack and gets decent to good reception (all watchable with little or no distortion) on all local OTA analog channels. Does this mean I will defintely be able to get the OTA digital HD feeds with an 811?

Emailing the ceo does get a response but the 811 is back ordered and they can't do much except throw you free movie or something.

#2 - Yes

Also, if your locals all broadcast in DTV/HDTV, you might want to look at buying a desktop box for HD/DTV instead of the 811.

Yes I considered gettin an OTA box, but the simple fact that I can hook the antenna directly to the 811 and integrate the channels (without program info) into my guide like it was normal TV sounds better. Also, where can I get a OTA box for as cheap as Dish will be letting me upgrade to the 811?

protoboard said:
Yes I considered gettin an OTA box, but the simple fact that I can hook the antenna directly to the 811 and integrate the channels (without program info) into my guide like it was normal TV sounds better. Also, where can I get a OTA box for as cheap as Dish will be letting me upgrade to the 811?

I understood you did not want to wait, I was suggesting a desktop box. Not sure what they cost (~$250?) The HD content on E* is not that great but it is nice to watch HDNet stuff.

I watch more OTA HD on my 811 than E* HD stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts