811 OTA HD is 'boxed'?

PJH

Original poster
Oct 31, 2003
This signal stregth on the OTA is around 85%, but on a HD program the picture is boxed (black space on top/bottom and sides of picture). The stretch mode for the 811 does not affect this, and on my monitor (Toshiba 51H83) the pic sizes do not remove the frame either. I'm running the HD through a DVI input. Any ideas how to get the picture to fill the screen?

PJH said:
This signal stregth on the OTA is around 85%, but on a HD program the picture is boxed (black space on top/bottom and sides of picture). The stretch mode for the 811 does not affect this, and on my monitor (Toshiba 51H83) the pic sizes do not remove the frame either. I'm running the HD through a DVI input. Any ideas how to get the picture to fill the screen?

I don't belive there is much that can be done.
Some networks, like ESPN HD, stretch the 4:3 content and others don't.
A lot of the OTA local stations broadcast 4:3 content with the black sidebars. When it looks like the picture is in a box, with black bars all the way around, it is "letterbox" in a 4:3 mode. Sort of a box in a box.

I think I'm ok. I was playing with this a bit more and looks like the picture does fill the screen if it's a HD OTA broadcast. According the titantv.com the football game on CBS was being broadcast in HD, but apparantly it was not. Just switched over to a program on the WB being broadcast in HD and all is right with the world. Besides using something like titantv.com, is there any way to tell which OTA programs are being broadcast in HD?

Well, I was hoping to watch the NFL game on CBS this afternoon in HDTV...figured that it would be in HD since CBS seems to be on the HD thing. But, it was presented in 4X3. Even survivor tonight is not in Widescreen. I went to the CBS website and they have a schedule that tells exactly what is broadcast in HDTV and what is not. According to their (CBS) guide, nothing tonight (Sun) is expected in Widescreen HDTV. So, I'll be watching the Saints-Giants game on ESPN-HD.

Only 1 game a week on CBS is in HD.
And it wasn't my local team's game, either :-(

Go to www.titantv.com they show the lineups for the evening that are in HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts