811 & OTA Horrors

khearrean

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I've posted this issue on another forum, but I'm hoping someone here might have some fresh advice/info. I currently must use analog cable here in our area in order to receive the local network, but when I try running that cable into the 811's OTA tuner, the PQ is horrible...grainy, etc. So I currently use my S VCR as a tuner for my locals and get a good picture; unfortunately doing it this way, I cannot seamlessly integrate my locals into the 811 & have to switch inputs, etc when going from Sat to VCR and back. (What a pain)! I have seen posted elsewhere that one of the corrections that would take place with software ver. 2.69 would address this issue of poor PQ with analog cable via the 811 OTA tuner. Well, since I just received 2.69, I tried it last night and (low & behold) it did not help at all and the PQ was just as bad as before. So I went back to my hook-up utilizing my VCR's tuner. Several folks have told me the 811's OTA tuner is horrible and could not be improved with software although D* told me differently, but then they've been telling me this now for the last (3) software releases. Anyone have any suggestions?

The news is the analog tuner is still crap, I'm not sure a software update can fix this or not. What you can do is plug your VCR into one of the imputs, that way you wouldn't have to switch your TV input, but it may not be any easier for you.

khearrean said:
I've posted this issue on another forum, but I'm hoping someone here might have some fresh advice/info. I currently must use analog cable here in our area in order to receive the local network, but when I try running that cable into the 811's OTA tuner, the PQ is horrible...grainy, etc. So I currently use my S VCR as a tuner for my locals and get a good picture; unfortunately doing it this way, I cannot seamlessly integrate my locals into the 811 & have to switch inputs, etc when going from Sat to VCR and back. (What a pain)! I have seen posted elsewhere that one of the corrections that would take place with software ver. 2.69 would address this issue of poor PQ with analog cable via the 811 OTA tuner. Well, since I just received 2.69, I tried it last night and (low & behold) it did not help at all and the PQ was just as bad as before. So I went back to my hook-up utilizing my VCR's tuner. Several folks have told me the 811's OTA tuner is horrible and could not be improved with software although D* told me differently, but then they've been telling me this now for the last (3) software releases. Anyone have any suggestions?

I am having the same grainy output when I connect either my VCR or DVD player thru these inputs. I am using a RCA push button selector to provide selections for these inputs directly to the TV with no deterioration of PQ.

Bulldog said:
I am having the same grainy output when I connect either my VCR or DVD player thru these inputs. I am using a RCA push button selector to provide selections for these inputs directly to the TV with no deterioration of PQ.

Hmmm... not sure if I'm understanding your reply or not. The input I am referring to is my 75 ohm (analog) cable coax coming in to the 811's OTA tuner input on the back. This is a coaxial input & would not be used for either VCR or DVD, it is strictly an 'antenna-in' connection. When I view my locals via this hook-up, the resultant PQ is grainy/horrible. I've been told the tuner is crappy & cannot be corrected via a software upgrade, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was viewing their locals via cable this way and what their PQ looked like.

Ken

GaryPen said:
The 811's OTA analog tuner is crap AND the A/V inputs are also crap.

I believe you now....see my post on the other forum. You've said that many times; I guess I was just hoping 2.69 would correct the problem. I'm going to stop worrying about it, accept defeat & wait 'till Dish gets locals in our market....Thanks, Gary.

Ken

The only OTA reception that the 811 does that looks good is Digital. The analog is so bad, it looks like it is 1/2 resolution. Use your TV's analog tuner if you are forced to do analog, stay away from the 811.

My analog OTA picture improved drastically with the 269 update. I no longer have what appeared to be a reduced frame rate. My analog OTA picture via the 811 now looks as good as through my TV tuners. I do feed my TVs from the 811 via s-video so the picture from the 811 benefits from that over the standard coaxial feed from the OTA antenna.

rocatman said:
My analog OTA picture improved drastically with the 269 update. I no longer have what appeared to be a reduced frame rate. My analog OTA picture via the 811 now looks as good as through my TV tuners. I do feed my TVs from the 811 via s-video so the picture from the 811 benefits from that over the standard coaxial feed from the OTA antenna.

OK, just so we're comparing 'apples-to-apples' although this probably doesn't matter; are you using cable (as I am) for the analog locals or are you getting your locals via an OTA antenna?

Ken

khearrean said:
OK, just so we're comparing 'apples-to-apples' although this probably doesn't matter; are you using cable (as I am) for the analog locals or are you getting your locals via an OTA antenna?

Ken

I am getting my locals via OTA, both analog and digital since some of my minor locals are only broadcast in analog. As a side note, I do receive non-prime time programming info for the big three networks on the analog stations. It doesn't show up most of the time in the EPG but if I press the info button, I get the programming info. It is usually only for an hour or two in advance.

Perhaps you have already done this but you may want to check all your cable connections because this can really screw up picture quality. I assume you are aware of the one menu choice on the 811 that has you select cable versus OTA antenna.

rocatman said:
I am getting my locals via OTA, both analog and digital since some of my minor locals are only broadcast in analog. As a side note, I do receive non-prime time programming info for the big three networks on the analog stations. It doesn't show up most of the time in the EPG but if I press the info button, I get the programming info. It is usually only for an hour or two in advance.

Perhaps you have already done this but you may want to check all your cable connections because this can really screw up picture quality. I assume you are aware of the one menu choice on the 811 that has you select cable versus OTA antenna.

Thanks...yes I am aware of that 811 menu setting of which I selected cable. And I've also checked & double-checked all interconnects.
Thanks for the advice anyway.

Ken

khearrean said:
Hmmm... not sure if I'm understanding your reply or not. The input I am referring to is my 75 ohm (analog) cable coax coming in to the 811's OTA tuner input on the back. This is a coaxial input & would not be used for either VCR or DVD, it is strictly an 'antenna-in' connection. When I view my locals via this hook-up, the resultant PQ is grainy/horrible. I've been told the tuner is crappy & cannot be corrected via a software upgrade, but I just wanted to see if anyone else was viewing their locals via cable this way and what their PQ looked like.

Ken

OK I misunderstood what connections you were referring to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts