811 OTA Problem

Grandpa J

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2004
Camarillo, CA
Is the following normal or is there something we can do?

If we leave my 811s on a OTA Digital channel at night the next morning that channel will be on - but - when we try to change it the receiver goes into acquiring satellite mode and after checks 1 to 5 and downloading program info everything is normal again. The problem does not happen when the receiver is left on satellite stations. It is the same with both 811s.

Is the OTA problem something I will just have to live with?

Thanks

if you leave it on ota during the night, the box cannot access the satellite stream therefore it wont be able to do it's nightly update. you really should turn your box off when not in use, no need to cause more trouble to the poor box ;)

The rule with the 811 is NEVER leave it on an OTA channel when you're not watching.

Thanks Bryan & Kevin

At our age, many times my wife and/or I fall a sleep when watching TV at night. So I guess it's something we will have to live with as we are dropping satellite local (LA) networks in order to keep distant (NY) networks

P.S. does anyone know if is it the same with 921? (and 942?)

when i had one of the origanal 811from last year i had the same problem. all the way up til sept of this year when i got tired of hasling with it and requested a new through the tech department. i recieved the new 811 and just leased a second one in december and no problems with ota. you mught have a bum 811.

I've already checked with tech support when encountered this problem last year (Oct). The support folks said to "never leave the 811 on an OTA channel overnight". It is a known bug and it is on a very long list of problems to fix.

mebgardener said:
I've already checked with tech support when encountered this problem last year (Oct). The support folks said to "never leave the 811 on an OTA channel overnight". It is a known bug and it is on a very long list of problems to fix.

The 811 has had at leave 5 updates since Oct of last hear. What this thread is referring to has been termed as the "Acquiring Signal bug". I did some test with the recent 2.84 build with parking the 811 on various channels over night to see if you can get the EPG to update. One of the test was parking it on an OTA station. I did not see any different in behavior as parking it on a Dish channel.

The "acquiring signal" bug was very common back in Oct of last year. I got it a lot. I have not seen it in a long long time. As to the known bug list, at this point I would not consider it a "Very" long list, but you have your right to your opinion.

The results of my informal test was that one should place the unit in standby to help assure an updated guide.

Grandpa J said:
Thanks Bryan & Kevin

At our age, many times my wife and/or I fall a sleep when watching TV at night. So I guess it's something we will have to live with as we are dropping satellite local (LA) networks in order to keep distant (NY) networks

P.S. does anyone know if is it the same with 921? (and 942?)
A simple work around would be to setup a timer to change your channel back to a satellite channel in the middle of the night. I do this to change the TV to childrens programming for my kids when they wake up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)