811 outputs

hdtv1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 1, 2004
Hello all,

I'm planning to hook the DVI output of the 811 to my plasma (mainly to watch High Def). Also, I will hook the S-video output of the 811 to the plama (mainly for standard digital channels). My question is does the DVI output automatically disable the s-video output in the 811? or can it be use simultaneously when I use my remote to switch the "video input" button.?

thanks

ride525 said:
I've always watched all the channels (SD and HD) using either DVI...or now, component....

Never used composite or S-video.

I've hooked up the S-video and the DVI on my Sammy DLP and tried them both. The DVI gives a better picture than the S-Video. The only drawback is that I am stuck with the stretch and zoom modes of the 811 (although they are not all that bad). With S-VIdeo I can use the stretch and "panorama" modes of the DLP which does a better job. But not enough to give up the PQ of the DVI even on SD.

My 811 feeds a Sammy DLP HLN507W via DVI and S-Video. I never use the S-Video except to check on the infamous "dark video" problem after each 811 software update. Everything looks better through the DVI connection and I could side-by-side PIP them on my Sammy.

BTW, I and my wife like the stretch and zoom modes on the 811 better than those available w/ our Sammy. If the SD picture isn't too over-compressed by E*, we watch most of our SD in partial-zoom and are quite pleased with the results.

Carl B said:
My 811 feeds a Sammy DLP HLN507W via DVI and S-Video. I never use the S-Video except to check on the infamous "dark video" problem after each 811 software update. Everything looks better through the DVI connection and I could side-by-side PIP them on my Sammy.

BTW, I and my wife like the stretch and zoom modes on the 811 better than those available w/ our Sammy. If the SD picture isn't too over-compressed by E*, we watch most of our SD in partial-zoom and are quite pleased with the results.

Carl B, I have a HLN437W, I can only do a "large" or "small" PIP with DVI and S-Video, How do I do side by side?

DVI suffers from dark video as well with my 811. I have the latest update, 266, and notice considerable loss of detail in dark images compared to the component connection. When the problem is resolved, I'll use the DVI, until that time, its component for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)